Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problems - Please Advise

John218
Dabbler

Connection Problems - Please Advise

Hi all,
I've had continued connection problems over the last two days similar to what's been mentioned in previous threads.
I'm losing connection so often it's making my pc unusable for internet use. If switch my pc off for a while it starts to
work again for a short period and then displays the message below. I've been online with plusnet for a month without
any real problems until now. Can anyone advise ?
Thanks in advance
John
Here is the message I get :-
SERVICE INFORMATION
You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons.
You must now shut down your browser and Internet applications before
attempting to reconnect.
The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.
Your service should be resumed soon.
Or
You are testing your local connection to BT using
'bt_test_user@startup_domain'
Or
You are testing your connection to your Service Provider using 'bt_test_user@domain'
where domain is your Service Provider domain name.
Or
Your Service Provider is currently unable to accept your connection request please
wait until service is restored or contact your Service Provider for further information.
Or
You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain.
8 REPLIES 8
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Connection Problems - Please Advise

I take it you are connected as normal at the moment and not posting through another connection?
What modem/router is it you are using?
John218
Dabbler

Yes, I'm on a normal connection at the moment, the fault is intermittent, it's behaving right now. The modem & the router are what was supplied by plusnet when they installed my fibre optics connection. They are both Netgear, the Router is a N150 wireless router.
dick:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just posted this in another thread, please let us know if it helps as if not there might be a wider issue. However there's enough similarities that I think this will sort it:
I suspect what's happening here is your router isn't picking up DNS servers automatically. You can solve that by logging in to the router and specifying them manually, we'd recommend any two of:
Once you've put them in and saved the settings you should find things start working for you, hope it helps.
John218
Dabbler

Ok Matt, I'll give that a try, thanks for your input.
Keeping my fingers crossed !   Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, hope it helps Smiley If not, just try turning the router off for a few minutes (not the modem though, leave that on) and then turn it back on again, hopefully that'll do the job too.
John218
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Everything seems to be working OK now after logging into the router as you suggested.
Next time I used my pc I did have to reset my router and modem as per the instructions because the light wasn't green, it was yellow.
So far so good.
Thanks for your help. 
John  Cool
PaulMayes

I've got precisely the same error message and this is the 4th interruption to service in 24 hours so it looks like a wider problem  Cry I'm using my phone to post this
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

so it looks like a wider problem

@PaulMayes, Its a bug in the automatic DNS configuration of Netgear routers. If you have a Fibre connection with a Netgear router then you need to set the DNS servers manually as indicated by Matt.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.