cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problem

hirstee
Dabbler

Connection Problem

Hi, ive been with plusnet for a while now and can say its the best company ive ever been with.
But i need a little help regarding my line. i recently purchased a new computer and it is situated in my front room downstairs however my master socket for my line is upstairs and ive tried many long wires and extentions but no matter what my internet isnt get through to the modem/router which is next to my computer downstairs.
is this because theres a greater distance than it can handle or because theres 3 extentions conneted together therefore disrupting the connection?
Also my LAN is working fine and my internet was working fine until the move. would it be best to purchase a wireless router and keep that upstairs and plug it straight into the master socket along with the phone and just use wireless connection.
Please get back to me. Cheers
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Connection Problem

If you are on the BBYW product and haven't got an outstanding 12 month contract you could get a router from Plusnet for the cost of post and packing.
With this located at the master you would have the option of using an ethernet cable or wireless either of which would work well.
As to why your setup doesn't work I would first disconnect all your phones and run an extension to the modem from the test socket and see if that gives you a signal.
For information on your line (without your modem working we can't get data from it) what was the typical synch speed you used to get before the move.
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Connection Problem

Telephone extension cables are notorious for causing problems, particularly if you are some distance from the exchange. You need the router as close as possible to the master socket to grab the small ADSL signal before it disappears. If you have three separate ones connected together it makes it worse! A better solution would be to leave the router plugged in to the master socket with a short cable, then run a long network cable to the PC. Or go wireless, as Oldjim said.