cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Dropping Out

andrewcall

Connection Dropping Out

Hi there i'm new to this forum so apologies if posted in the wrong format.,

Can anyone please give any advice on a dropout problem I have got.

Over the past couple of weeks my broadband has been dropping out at random times of the day for a few minutes at a time, it's getting rather annoying now. I first notified customer services via a live web chat and they tested the line there and then, they came back and said my connection had been dropping out but there was no line apparent faults. It was suggested that I plug into the test socket (BT Master 5C) and if problems persist to raise a fault ticket.

I did this and the drop outs reduced since but are still happening everyday. Although at a reduced rate its still enough to be annoying. I raised a fault ticket last week and they got back to me this week saying there is no problems with the line etc.

I am still plugged into the test socket and problems are still apparent.

Since I have been at home this evening the connection has dropped out at 2100, 2255, 0010 and also now while I am writing this.

The blue light turns to a flashing red/orange light and then it goes steady before a red 'B' appears and shortly after that it returns blue and connection resets. Since there is no apparent line faults I am wondering is my router faulty?

If anyone here can help me I'd be ever so grateful!

Many Thanks, Andrew

1 REPLY 1
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Connection Dropping Out

Hi Andrew,

A warm welcome to the forums.

It is a bit disappointing to read that the support process has (apparently) left matters at "can see no fault with the line" as not all faults can be remotely diagnosed.  Before going further though it would be useful to confirm that you have ruled out all of the usual suspects.  The description of the router lights is useful as it rather strongly suggests that you are loosing synch and not some other problem, such as wifi drop outs.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.