cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Dropping Out

ghowlett

Connection Dropping Out

I've been experiencing drop outs at an alarming rate over the last few weeks coupled with a reduction in speed to a paltry 1 mbs all of which makes the internet virtually unusable. I've contacted support by phone and offered the suggestion that as there appears to be a lot of engineering activity in my area that this could be the cause of the drop outs. My neighbours are suffering similar problems which seem to point to this. The support agent said that he could test the line, which he did and could find no fault with, but he was unable to say what works in the area could be responsible for the failures. I've tried all the tests recommended before calling support and this made no difference. I was amazed to find that Plusnet had no knowledge of any local engineering work which could cause the problems. Can anyone comment please?

7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Connection Dropping Out

Your line is disconnecting a lot, this is not something that maintenance is likely to cause as maintenance is generally for a short period overnight.

Testing your line is showing it's quite a long line and it's erroring a lot too:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 39.8 64.6
SNR Margin: 6.5 6.0
Errored Seconds: 1 35
HEC Errors: 19  
Cell Count: 163505 212530
Speed: 792 1720

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 1728 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 1382
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 857 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 261
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 12

I'm going to try and increase the SNR to combat those errors, however this may slightly reduce your speed but should make the line more usable by making it stable.

If you continue to experience issues I'd advise getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ghowlett

Thanks very much Chris for your reply. I must admit that the technical stuff is beyond me but I'm appreciative that you're attempting to resolve the problem. I'll see how it goes from here and raise a fault ticket if the drop outs persist. Thanks again.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

No problems @ghowlett and just let us know how you get on and if you need any further assistance then just get in touch and we'll be more than happy to help.

ghowlett

Hi Ben,

I did raise a fault ticket as I was still losing connection. However, things seem a little better today but I'll continue to monitor and be in touch if it doesn't correct itself. Thanks for your reply.

ghowlett

Hi Ben. I do seem to have a more stable connection but the download speed has dropped to around 0.3 Mb even after re-booting the router. I can access email but video streaming etc. is impossible. I've found that I need a minimum of around 1.2 Mb to do this. Is it possible for you to increase the speed  and maintain connection? My average speed before the onset of these problems was around 1.5Mb.

ghowlett

After logging a fault ticket and further testing the problem eventually resolved itself after BT/Open Reach completed a major repair. It does seem foolish that BT/Open Reach don't share such information with all Broadband suppliers as this would have saved all concerned a lot of wasted time.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

When we test a line we do normally get shown if there is an MSO (Major Service Outage) in the area, this wasn't showing when I tested yours so didn't anticipate it would be that causing it.

Glad to hear it's all sorted for you now though.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.