cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting second computer to wireless/network

R_Hood

Connecting second computer to wireless/network

I cannot connect my old computer using XL to the internet or home network on my new computer using windows 7

I want to access files on my old computer from my new one

5 REPLIES 5
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Connecting second computer to wireless/network

Two different things here, connecting your Windows XP (?) PC to the Internet and Home Network to the XP machine from the Win 7 machine.

I use an old XP pc and a Win 8 machine along with a Plusnet Technicolor 582n router and can manage both the above, so it should be OK. It's a while since I first connected up the XP to the Internet so can't remember all the details, but it should be straightforward enough providing you have all the required Windows services installed.

How are you connecting the PCs to the router, by wireless or cable?

R_Hood

Thanks RS

I've got the wireless connections sorted and both computers are telling me they are connected to the home network

MSHOME.  The current problem is that they don't seem to see one another. I found a useful article on UK.pcmag.com/networking that tells me Win7 only recognises other Win7 computers but gives a work-around.

However, it doesn't seem to work.  If you have any other ideas they would be much appreciated

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

I have found it difficult to get hold of good documentation about all this, so it was all rather hit and miss. However it does seem to work now between my XP Professional and Win 8 PCs. So I would think it ought to work with your XP and Win 7.

This text was edited using Notepad on the XP and picked up and posted here using the Win 8 laptop.

From the XP machine:

In Local Area Connection Properties make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is selected. You must already have Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) enabled.

I also have both Client for Microsoft Networks and Service Advertising Protocol selected. Not sure if needed or not.

Any files placed in the Shared Documents folder (Public on the Win 8 ) will be available to everyone logged on to the local network by default. To see your account/files on all machines or share any other files you need to turn on sharing for those folders you want to make available over the network between several machines. You need Administrator privileges to do this on the XP machine. Right click on folder and select Sharing and Security... and follow the dialogue.

To see your files on all machines make sure you are using the same account log in credentials on all machine on your network.

From the Start button open My Network Places. You should be able to see the networked directories available to you. By clicking View workgroup computers in Network Tasks you will see the networked machines..

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

This site might be useful:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com

R_Hood

Thanks RS

I've had another try at connecting after reading your latest reply, still no luck.

I'll move the required files manually with a memory stick.

Thanks again for your response.

R_Hood