cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting direct to router through ethernet cable is it quicker? and need help.

jakeconnolly

Connecting direct to router through ethernet cable is it quicker? and need help.

I was wondering if connecting direct through eternet cable will give me a quicker internet speed than connecting through wireless?
Also when i try and set up a connection direct it asks for my user name and password.
i think this came with the little sticker with the router.
But ive lost it,  how do i retrieve those details again?
Thanks to your response!
28 REPLIES 28
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Connecting direct to router through ethernet cable is it quicker? and need help.

HI jakeconnolly,
Yes ethernet will be much quicker than wireless. As for getting to the router you need to type admin as the password and the username is the number on the underside of the router beginning with the letters CP (it's case sensitive)
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Connecting direct to router through ethernet cable is it quicker? and need help.

Really - given a reasonable wireless signal the speed should be limited by it on standard ADSL
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Depends what else is operating on the wireless at the time and what interference there is.
Whilst it may not be noticeable in some circumstances, in all the circumstances I can imagine, wired will always be faster than wireless.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: jakeconnolly
I was wondering if connecting direct through eternet cable will give me a quicker internet speed than connecting through wireless?

Only in theory...
Ethernet cable will connect at 100Mbps.
WiFi 802.11b will connect at 11 Mbps
WiFi 802.11g will connect at 54/108 Mbps
WiFi 802.11n will connect at 200 Mbps
So if you are moving large amounts of data between PCs you may see a difference, but connecting to the internet will be limited by your connection.  I think the maximum with some cable providers is 50Mbps but most on ADSL get 2-20 Mbps.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: jakeconnolly

Quote from: Joanne
...ethernet will be much quicker than wireless.

The broadband has to be the limiting factor here with standard ADSL.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Nick
Only in theory...
Ethernet cable will connect at 100Mbps.
WiFi 802.11b will connect at 11 Mbps
ETC...
Only there is missing information.
1. Ethernet cable is easily capable of operating near its theoretical max.
2. Wireless rarely operates near its theoretical max
3. Ethernet cable is uncontended
4. Wireless is contended bandwidth (i.e. shared with other devices)
5. Ethernet cable is quite resilient to interference
6. Wireless is not that resilient to interference
I agree for the most part the limiting factor when browsing the internet is your connection speed to the internet, but a wired vs. wireless in real world competition on speed wired is always going to win.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Foot in door
How do homeplug type connections fit in for performance?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Homeplug has much more in common with wireless than it does wired in terms of how it performs.
It's contended across all devices using the bandwidth, its effected by interference quite easily, the layout of your building (wiring) may prevent it reaches certain places, it rarely preforms at its theoretical max.
A proper ethernet cable is always going to beat Homeplug on speed, however, wether you find Homeplug or Wireless faster depends on so many different variables (including which spec of wireless/homeplus you choose to use) that wether one will be faster than the other is probably only determinable if you run a suite a tests to determine it.
FYI, even in my 1 bedroom flat (so with the kitchen/living room thats a total of 2 rooms in my dwelling) I found the 200mb AV Homeplug devices performed no better and sometimes worse than Homeplug 1 devices (rated at 85mb) and that both types would sustain a data transfer at about 45mb when there was no contention, the 200mb AV devices could sometimes burst up to much higher speeds, but it was never sustained for more than a few seconds.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you want to transfer data between two devices, make sure that at least one has an ethernet connection.
wifi / home-plug will only suffer substantially from contention when more than one device is active concurrently.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

fourfourdevon
Grafter

When you have 1 homeplug or wireless device you *must* have at least one more for it to work at all, and those two devices *must* transfer data between each other... not sure what your getting at "Fox is evil"
Perhaps your talking about intermediation, where a router acts are a 3rd party?  And your saying one of the device needs a direct wired connection to that?  If so, well in the case of Homeplug thats not needed, there is no intermediation, and apart from some management and handshaking I believe its also true of wireless.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

44D, you misunderstand how networking "normally" operates. AFIE is correct.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I do?  Explain, because my years as a network engineer always taught me you needed compatible devices at both ends of the deal.  I can't see how any wireless device can talk to any wired device without at least a Wireless Access Point acting as mediator between two quite different transmission mechanisms.
And whilst I couldnt swear that a wireless device talking to a WAP that then talks to a wired device would be slower than a wireless device that talks directly to another wireless, I can at least see no reason why it would be faster and can see many reason why it might be slower.
That is *unless* (as wireless is not my strong point) the WAP insists on intermediating all wireless transmissions, instead of allowing the wireless devices to talk to each other direct.
However, even if that is the case with wireless (the WAP insists on intermediating) it certainly not the case with Homeplug.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The router is needed to do the routing.
Everything goes via the router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Don't be pedantic 44d, you know what we both mean.  Grin
For others who don't: Almost all networking these days will be intermediated by a router or at least a switch, direct 1:1 computer to computer networks are a thing of the past.
So a PC's wireless adapter will NEVER be talking to another PC's wireless adapter, it will go via the router.