Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting another computer

coatseh
Grafter

Connecting another computer

Hello,

I recently loaded up an old PC (running Windows XP) and tried to connect it to my internet by connecting it via ethernet to my router (Thomson 585v7).  I expected to get a connection straight away however this wasn't the case,so I messed around for a while but still couldn't get any connection to the computer.

What could be the problem?

Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Connecting another computer

Try starting a command prompt (Start -> Run, type cmd and press enter) then type ipconfig /all at the prompt.  Does it show DHCP enabled, an IP address something like192.168.1.x and DNS addresses?
David
thejudge
Rising Star

Check your firewall settings - they could be blocking the new machine from accessing the router (or vice versa).
coatseh
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Try starting a command prompt (Start -> Run, type cmd and press enter) then type ipconfig /all at the prompt.  Does it show DHCP enabled, an IP address something like192.168.1.x and DNS addresses?

Just checked,DHCP is enabled and IP/DNS adresses seem alright.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I assume you did that on the XP computer?
On that computer can you access the router's web interface by browsing to http://192.168.1.254?
As queried by thejudge what antivirus and firewall software is installed on the computer?
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

coatseh
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
I assume you did that on the XP computer?
On that computer can you access the router's web interface by browsing to http://192.168.1.254?
As queried by thejudge what antivirus and firewall software is installed on the computer?

Yeah,that was on the XP computer. It has Malwarebuytes and Spybot S+D installed,thats all. I can't access the router's web interface by inputting that address.
coatseh
Grafter

Just a little update,I can see the xp computer on the network when I look at the Network from my other computer. However on the XP computer I still can't get a connection to the internet.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The topic linked by Oldjim includes a suggestion to try assigning a static IP to the XP computer. Mostly the replies refer to connection to the router over wireless but that fix was also said to help with a wired connection.
Presumably you have Windows Firewall active. You could try temporarily disabling it.
David
coatseh
Grafter

Yeah I read through that :).
Windows firewall is disabled but doesn't seem to have made much difference.
On the XP pc when I go onto Network Connections it says that the Internet Gateway is connect and LAN is enabled yet I still can't load up the internet or router web page on internet explorer.
Also tried assigning a static IP but it doesn't seem to have made any difference either.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I know you've tried assinging a static IP but have you tried reverting the IP settings (TCP/IP properties) to dynamically obtain both the IP and DNS settings?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
coatseh
Grafter

I presume you mean allow the connection to look for the IP/DNS automatically.  Just tried that now and still no luck.
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I presume you mean allow the connection to look for the IP/DNS automatically

Yes, I've had a similar issue in the past trying to share a connection from one XP machine to another in the past, turning off Windows firewall and setting up specific access rules on the firewall software on each machine (using each machines's mac address) solved that eventually.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
coatseh
Grafter

I have the XP machines mac address I guess I just add it as a port on the other computer?

Also,if I didn't make it clear the XP machine is currently connected directly to the router via Ethernet not my other computers Ethernet port. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
rhohne
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can you ping an external website such as bbc.co.uk ?
If not could you post the ouput from the ping and the ipconfig/all commands.