cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting an IP camera Wirelessly to a Technicolour TG582N..Impossible????

jogger321

Connecting an IP camera Wirelessly to a Technicolour TG582N..Impossible????

Hello there first posting..I have been with plusnet for over three years on BB & home phone..It has been 100% good compared to previous providers which is why I stay!..My knowledge on networking is very limited but I have spent quite a few hours trying to connect my IP camera wirelessly to my plusnet router ..researched for any info on this board plus internet search engines but at the moment simply cannot get it working wirlessly.
OK ..Its a chinese clone of an Easy N IP camera... I have managed to get it working on a wired ethernet cable with minimal problems.. It sees the plusnet network ..the correct key ..the ip address of the camera ok and the camera works 100% ok with the wired ethernet cable.
I have tried altering all the different authentication security types..left the cable plugged in for half an hour then removed it to get it on wireless but once the wire is removed it simply stops working..
I had a little look using my minimal experience of logging into the technicolour router and it is set to the default of accepting additional wireless devices
I guess my question is..is the router up to it...has anyone successfully connected an IP camera to the standard technicolour router??...should I be looking at buying a better router?Huh
Like I said I am no expert but an enthusiastic amateur that ultimately wants to set up a number of ip cameras in the home to keep an eye remotely using androd phone on pets
I would be extremely grateful if there is anyone out there that might be able to help me on this as I think at the moment I've reached the end of my technical abilities..Many thanks
20 REPLIES 20
jogger321

Re: Connecting an IP camera Wirelessly to a Technicolour TG582N..Impossible????

Just been doing some more research and I'm wondering if there is some conflict on the security settings?? I have tried them all but no joy... Whatever I do once the cable is disconnected between the router and camera it freezes
I guess basically my question is has anybody successfully got an IP camera to work wirelessly on the standard Technicolour plusnet modem????Huh
I don't mind purchasing another router if this is deemed the problem..Any suggestions on what i buy..something that could support up to 5 cameras with an easy interface to set up port forwarding with the non technical in mind?Huh

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I would expect the camera to be on a different IP address over wifi to that over wired. These are two different network interfaces and will have different mac addresses.  However, read this - http://blog.coultard.com/2012/01/how-to-configure-easyn-ip-web-camera.html
Look at the router to see what devices are connected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Hiagra

Also first post. Same problem. Even hired an 'expert' to set it up. He said the camera was faulty so I sent it back. Manufacturer said no fault found but gave me a replacement. No different. Any help appreciated.
NedLudd
Grafter

I used to have a wifi/ethernet camera attached to my network.
I remember that I would use ethernet to do configuration settings on the camera then pull the power, unconnect the ethernet cable and then power up the camera.
This was the only way to get wifi on line with it. Pulling the ethernet cable whilst powered up did exactly as described - nothing!
So, power down the camera, pull the Ethernet cable and then power up the camera again. It should be seen then!
Geoff,
York.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@jogger321,
Have you tried changing the wireless SSID on the router. Some devices don't like long SSID's. Try changing the default PlusNetWireLessnnnnn to something simpler, say 8 characters.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jogger321

It would be really useful if a Plusnet Rep would come on here and give a view on this..
I recognise you don't support this sort of thing and am not even asking for instructions on doing it..but it would be really helpful to know if anyone HAS got an IP camera working wirelessley on the TG582N router supplied by Plusnet..
(Thanks for all the replies from other forum members going to take a look at the links and have another go)
The standard instructions supplied with these EBay IP cameras are laughable to be honest and about as useful as a chocolate radiator  Smiley
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: jogger321
Just been doing some more research and I'm wondering if there is some conflict on the security settings?? I have tried them all but no joy... Whatever I do once the cable is disconnected between the router and camera it freezes

Have you tried rebooting the camera AFTER you have disconnected the cable yet?
Geoff,
York.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but it would be really helpful to know if anyone HAS got an IP camera working wirelessley on the TG582N router supplied by Plusnet..
One of my colleagues has 3 IP cameras connected via his TG582n, 2 wireless and 1 wired I think. He's not in the office at the moment but when he comes back I'll confirm.

Hiagra

Looking forward to reading Misterw's next post before trying the suggestion on Townman's link which looks a bit daunting to me.
jogger321

Quote from: MisterW
but it would be really helpful to know if anyone HAS got an IP camera working wirelessley on the TG582N router supplied by Plusnet..
One of my colleagues has 3 IP cameras connected via his TG582n, 2 wireless and 1 wired I think. He's not in the office at the moment but when he comes back I'll confirm.

Be great if you could and your friend maybe via you come on here and give us some instructions on how he achieved it
jogger321

Quote from: Hiagra
Looking forward to reading Misterw's next post before trying the suggestion on Townman's link which looks a bit daunting to me.

Ditto
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

He's not in the offfice until Tuesday I'm afraid Embarrassed

louialive
Grafter

Try configuring the camera with a static IP address rather than dhcp and see what happens then