cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a security camera.

billman

Connecting a security camera.

I recently bought a remote control Maginon security camera from Aldi.  I have connected it to my Thompson router as supplied by PlusNet 2/3 years ago and followed instructions to set it up for remote operation when I am away from home.  This included  setting up a DDNS facility (provided free of charge by Maginon) for access over the internet remote from my local system.  The camera can operate with Ethernet cable to the router or via WiFi.  Everything works OK - I can access and control the camera either cabled OR wirelessly from my local PC.  I can do the same from a computer out on the internet via the DDNS facility but ONLY if the camera is connected via cable to the router.  If  I attempt this when the camera is operating in WiFi mode I get a connection error.  On looking at the status data on the camera software program this seems to be associated with a Universal Plug'N Play' (UPNP) status which shows as 'Error - rejected'.  This status is shown as 'Successful' in any other mode other than when trying to connect via the DDNS facility and is specific to WiFi working.  Maybe this requires some tweak to the router setup to fix?  Any advice gratefully received, as I am hesitant to do any uninformed dabbling.
12 REPLIES 12
Farrinaf
Grafter

Re: Connecting a security camera.

Do you have the exact model details? (no ideas at present but would like to see if I  an find a manual online to read to see if I can think of anything)
Do you have to specify a port number when connecting from the Internet (and do you just use a web browser or some other form of program?)
Later
Is this it here http://www.traveler-service.de/cms/fileadmin/downloads/Maginon_IPC1/BDA/aus/IM%20Maginon%20IPC-1-AUS...
Cheers
Alan
billman

Hello Alan
I can confirm that the link you included points to the camera I have.
I did not have to specify a port number in any of the setup procedures (although the DDNS setup did seem to invoke port 80).  However this would not seem sensitive as to wired or wireless working??  The camera is accessed through a browser (IE10).
Thanks for your interest.  Any insights welcome.
Regards Bill
Farrinaf
Grafter

Okay so looking at the manual the port number on the ip camera must be the default of 80 as per page 21.This would make sense as this is the default port with web browsers.
You can I believe purchase a static IP address from plusnet for a one off fee of £5 so might be worth going down this route if you don't already have one. This would make finding your router from the Internet easier than messing around with dynamic updates etc mapping dynamic IP addresses.
The reason for the error I am guessing to do with universal plug and play so I would be tempted to manually configure your router to open a port (80) to point at the internal IP address of your IP camera from the router to see if this resolves the problem. Note that unless camera supports encryption it is technically possible for anyone to sniff the data passing across the Internet and see your camera password. This would allow them to view your camera (it's a low risk and unlikely to occur and a risk I take with my IP cameras - just so you are aware.)
Do you have the model of your router? (If I can find the manual for this should make it easier to advise how to configure - assuming I am not teaching you how to suck eggs)
Regards
Alan
billman

I take your point about a static IP address.  When I asked about this on the Plusnet helpline I think I was told that the package I was on did not offer this – but I could certainly reopen this.  However I am still puzzled as to why the camera is readily accessible using the internet and DDNS when wired to the router but not when working wirelessly. 
Thanks for the warning regarding security.  When setting the camera up I had to feed in the encryption regime (WPA2 PSK(AES)) and wireless key.  Does that make it secure? Camera, by the way, was £49.99 from Aldi , controllable and purportedly has night vision.
My router is a Thompson TG585 v8.  Alan, please do not worry about me sucking eggs – I'm a babe in arms around this technical area and grateful for ANY advice.  I'm terrified of messing something up and ending up with no internet connection.  However I was able to access the router setup screens and look around without changing anything.  I think it said that DNS was disabled – but as I've said it works ok when wired so I don't know what would be different if wireless.
Thanks again for your kind help.
Rgds Bill
kippers
Dabbler

Hi Billman
Have you tried giving the camera it's own fixed internal IP address rather than a router assigned one, the wired and wireless connections will both probably need their own. You then may have to port forward incoming requests to these IP addresses on port 80.
kippers
Farrinaf
Grafter

Quote from: billman
I take your point about a static IP address.  When I asked about this on the Plusnet helpline I think I was told that the package I was on did not offer this – but I could certainly reopen this.  However I am still puzzled as to why the camera is readily accessible using the internet and DDNS when wired to the router but not when working wirelessly. 
I am not aware of the finer points of the Plusnet packages - I believe some of the "value" ones may not offer this facility.
Thanks for the warning regarding security.  When setting the camera up I had to feed in the encryption regime (WPA2 PSK(AES)) and wireless key.  Does that make it secure? Camera, by the way, was £49.99 from Aldi , controllable and purportedly has night vision.
This WPA2 encryption is between your router and the device locally I.e. on the LAN side. I was referring to when you access your router (and subsequently your camera) from the WAN side ie across the Internet rather than across your local area network.
My router is a Thompson TG585 v8.  Alan, please do not worry about me sucking eggs – I'm a babe in arms around this technical area and grateful for ANY advice.  I'm terrified of messing something up and ending up with no internet connection.  However I was able to access the router setup screens and look around without changing anything.  I think it said that DNS was disabled – but as I've said it works ok when wired so I don't know what would be different if wireless.

I am guessing that your issue may be something connected to the use of uPnP so if we manually open a port to see if this resolves your issue ....
There is a user manual for your device here http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=7063#page48
Page 38 gives a brief overview as to what is happening when you try and connect to your webcam from the Internet ( lower picture)
Page 39 shows you how to assign a game or application - in this case as you camera is already using port 80 we can cheat and pretend that it's a HTTP server which should use this port by default  All you should need to do is identify the web cam as the device you want the router to pass incoming traffic to. It may show an IP or a device name or unhelpfully just a hexidecimal address with name unknown.
If this is an issue it may be easier to just give the camera a fixed (static) IP  address. This will be done on the camera itself. Page 21 of the camera manual refers ( DHCP is used for dynamically assigned address which are not static) just a word of warning if/when you go down the static route do not use an IP address which is part of the range (scope) available for dynamic assignment by your router as worse case scenario if you did you might end up with two devices on your network with same address which would not be good).
This is we're it gets a bit messy as your router is not very intuitive - I think you need to look under home networks and then interfaces to see what IP addresses are part of the DHCP scope - perhaps we should take this one step at a time. So I will leave you to explore and come back with any further questions.

Thanks again for your kind help.
Not a problem - shame you are not local (I am in the Liverpool area) as it would only be a 10 minute job to sort as its difficult to advise when one does not have local access to the actual kit
Rgds Bill
itsme
Grafter

It could be that the routing tables are not being updated and priority is given to the LAN ports over WiFi. So I suggest setting up to use WiFi then reboot your router. 
NedLudd
Grafter

Or, could it be that the camera needs two IP addresses - one for wired and one for wifi!
Geoff,
York.
itsme
Grafter

But can't port forward the same port to two IP addresses.
NedLudd
Grafter

Then there's a problem!
It's not something I've come up against. I had a Netgear wifi/wired camera some years back but it used only one IP address.
My Apple TV box uses different IP addresses for each.
I only mentioned it as that is a possible cause of the OP's problem!
Geoff,
York.
Farrinaf
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
But can't port forward the same port to two IP addresses.

Yes this was my initial thought but when I checked my own (different ip camera) that has a cabled/ wireless option it only gave me the option to input/configure a single network address within the firmware. Checking the manual for the OP's camera showed the same.
I suspect that plugging in a cable will disable the wireless connection.
Frankly looking at the router it seems to have been constructed to simplify as far as possible configuration by hiding a lot of the technical functionality that it has behind various wizards, but perversely in doing so has complicated things from the more technically enabled routers.
billman

Quote from: itsme
It could be that the routing tables are not being updated and priority is given to the LAN ports over WiFi. So I suggest setting up to use WiFi then reboot your router. 

I switched off camera and disconnected the wired connection to the router.  I then switched of the router and after a short interval switched it back on.  Then I powered the camera up again, without reconnecting the wire to the router.  Then I tried connecting to it over the net using the DDNS facility I had previously set up.  AND IT WORKED!! (Sorry to sound so surprised..).  Many thanks.  I monitor how stable it is over the next few days and report back to you guys.
Rgds to all
Bill