cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a PS4 to Thomson TG585 Router

GARochester

Connecting a PS4 to Thomson TG585 Router

Is anyone else struggling to do this? I bought two PS4s yesterday and both are only sporadically connecting to the router via Wi-Fi.
The usual result of an attempt is a message saying "Cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network within the time limit"
However, after repeated attempts it suddenly worked, and stayed connected for a couple of hours. My son had the same issue with his.
Now though, it can't connect again, and the repeated attempts method doesn't seem to work. I've tried it in two different rooms; it's currently sat within a metre of the router. It would probably work fine via an ethernet lead which would be fine for me but wouldn't be practical for my son.
If it was one PS4 I'd be suspicious of that, but two exhibiting the same issue is either a) extreme bad luck, or b) a router issue.
All other devices in the house are connecting quickly and reliably as they always have.
8 REPLIES 8
davidwalker900
Grafter

Re: Connecting a PS4 to Thomson TG585 Router

honsty i can't help you on this i do not use the router that comes with plusnet i use the bt home hub 4 which i got cheap before i left bt
davidwalker900
Grafter

but i can tell you Thomson TG585 Router is rubish with the wireless thats what i heard off reviews on it
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@davidwalker900 - Amazingly insightful and helpful posts Smiley
@GARochester - Welcome to the Forum!
I'd suggest cabling up one of the PS4s just to confirm this is a wifi issue.  Also worth changing wireless channels to see if that helps?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

It would also be worth while checking the router management pages to see if it is seeing the PS4s - you will more than likely need to know the MAC addresses of the PS4.  I am aware of situations were the DHCP server in the TG582n allocates a DHCP-IP address to a device (it shows IP allocated to the relevant MAC address), but IP address is never received / configured by the host device.  Such behaviour would (in my experience) give symptoms similar to those you have described.
You should also double check that the PS4 is configured to use DHCP.  That said, you can test the above theory by allocating a fixed IP address below the rouuter's DHCP pool - if you are using the TG582n as shipped, that would be an address in the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63
If you want to check the local WiFi spectrum, down load inSIDDer on to a Windows PC.  That will display a graph of detected WiFi networks.  Make sure yours is not on the same channel as another one - you can set the WiFi channel through the router admin pages.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Which version of the 585? The 585v8 had various wifi problems: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.0.html
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Nice one EJS - post #5 in that thread sounds very similar to the issues I am seeing with the TG582n - Vista platform is my bug-bear too!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That was an old thread, specific to the 585v8, which has totally different wireless components than the 582n.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

True, but that perspective presumes that the issue is definitely wireless technology related, rather than possibly an issue with DHCP / ARP address management in relation to certain hosts.
In respect of the OP's reported symptoms and the detail given in post #5 of the thread you referenced - specifically problems with VISTA (and in their case PS3) but Win7 is OK - that all quite closely matches my experience with TG582n.  In my situation, the VISTA machine connects to the WiFi OK but does not get an IP address.  The router indicates that it allocated an IP address.  Putting a fixed IP into the VISTA machine results in it gaining internet connectivity but no LAN connectivity to other devices (shares etc).  To me this does not sound like a WiFi issue, but an issue with a different layer of the solution stack.  Possibly a layer of the router solution stack that is common to both TG585v8 and TG582n?
The OP's description suggests that other devices are all working fine, which (aside for a specific problem with the PS4 WiFi interface / driver) suggests that the WiFi is working fine.
Resolution here requires careful profiling of the problem - why does this work for some devices, but not the PS4s (in the cited cases VISTA)?  Is it purely a WiFi connectivity issue, or is it more complex?  Many hosts do not distinguish the difference between being unable to connect to WiFi at all and being able to connect, but not get a DHCP allocated IP address.  Setting a static IP address breaks the problem down into layers as can be shown by my circumstance.
In both my experience and that of the OP, rebooting the router seems to clear the issue, until it happens again - which in my case is about a 5 day interval.