cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Asus N66U and Thomson TG585

ochristmas
Dabbler

Connecting Asus N66U and Thomson TG585

Hi there I have sought help here before and have been helped so I am hoping that someone can help.  Long story short I have got the Asus N66U router which I need to connect up to my standard Plusnet Modem Router.  I did manage to get it working previously but after an internet outtage the plus net hlpe team would only (understandably) help get me back on line with just the modem connect.  I now can not for the life of me work out how to connect it back up.  Please help - the following is what I am doing:

1. reset modem (hold down reset button)
2. login in to modem at 192.168.1.254
3. turn off wireless
4. disable firewall
5. disconnect internet (? have tried doing this and not doing this)
6. telnet to modem and run following commands to get modem into bridge mode:
:ppp flush
:atm flush
:atm  phonebook flush
:atm phonebook add name pvc_Internet addr 0*38
:atm ifadd intf atm_Internet
:atm ifconfig intf atm_Internet dest pvc_Internet ulp mac encaps llc
:atm ifattach intf atm_Internet
:eth bridge ifadd intf Internet brname bridge
:eth bridge ifconfig intf Internet dest atm_Internet
:eth bridge ifconfig intf Internet wan enabled
:service system modify name DHCP-S state disabled
:system config upnp disabled
:saveall

6. reset router
7. unplug pc to modem lan cable and connect it pc to router
8. login to router
9. wizard starts - set password
10. select PPPoE
11. enter plusdsl creds
12. setup wifi etc;
13. plug router to modem with lan cable (wan port on router to any input on modem)

I am sure I am missing a step or something but I just can't work it out.  Any help much much appreciated as I am getting verbally battered for spending a load of money on a pretty black box!
Many thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Connecting Asus N66U and Thomson TG585

Those commands look fine, have you tried connecting to port 4 on the 585?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

and have you left it for a while ( upto 10 mins ) to see if it connects ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ram64man

Ok newbe here and can't answer your question but im hoping you can aswer mine?
This may sound mad but why are you using tg585?  Since the asus n66 Should plug directly into the open reach hulew vdsl modem on pppoe then just enter your account details.  The reason I ask is I'm about to get a new fttc connection and turned down the thompson router as I was old my existing asus ac n66 would work on the service once it was reset.
The way this reads are you saying bt openreach don't install a huluw modem with plusnet install? (as the openreach engineer didn't know what I was taking about either when he failed to install this morning - long story) Or am I reading this wrong and you do still get the huluw openreach. 
But again it begs the question why use two routers ?
ochristmas
Dabbler

Ram64man: The TG585 is being used as the modem (I am DSL).  I am not using it for its routing functions.
Thanks chrispurvey and MisterW for your feedback.  Good to know that my steps are correct.  Now I have more confidence in my approach I will apply more patience (and wait at least 10 minutes) and also try Port 4.  Once I am home I will report back with the (hopefully) working steps in case it helps anyone else. 
Quick question though I kept on reading that I should "disconnect the session" prior to doing all the configuration.  I presume that is the disconnect internet button from the modem settings page?  If I need to do that how do I reconnect once I have made all the changes - I am pretty sure once I have followed all my steps above I can not reach the modem config pages without a hard reset.
Thanks again!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and also try Port 4
that's got to be worth a try but AFAIK in it's default ADSL configuration ( which is what you are starting from ) then all ports are connected to the 'bridge' and therefore it really shouldnt matter which port you are using.
If I need to do that how do I reconnect once I have made all the
from the n66

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ochristmas
Dabbler

So the update is it is still not working.  I repeated my steps - leaving it up to 30 minutes each time but still it won't work.  Internal routing works but I can't get out to the internet.  Once I run the bridge script the internet light on the modem goes out and never comes back on - is that right?  or a sign of a problem?  The issue that windows reports is the user is that the ISP needs a username and password but apart from the entering the PPoE user/pass on the Asus I am not sure what to do.  Has anyone got any ideas or top tips?
Thanks again.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Once I run the bridge script the internet light on the modem goes out and never comes back on - is that right?  or a sign of a problem?
I've not used one in bridge mode myself but that is what I'd expect. The Broadband light should be on but since the TG582 is now just a modem then I wouldn't expect it's Internet light to be on.
Looking at some earlier posts on the Tg582 and bridge mode I think you might be missing a command
after the
:eth bridge ifconfig intf Internet dest atm_Internet

try
:eth bridge ifattach intf=Internet
I'm also not sure about the brname bridge on the
:eth bridge ifadd intf Internet brname bridge
command
Have a look at this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105753.0.html ( note it uses  BrPPPoE rather than Internet in its names but that shouldn't matter as long as it's consistent )

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Any particular reason for wanting to "bridge" the 585?
I use a TP-Link, with the WAN I/F set for dynamic IP, connected to a 585 or TD8816 in "standard" modem/router configuration (see sig) - that way I can get the line stats which are not available in "bridge mode" from the TD8816 and easily switch between the two or eliminate the router for test purposes. I haven't noticed any any performance problems.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ratty
Dabbler

Did you manage to resolve the problem?
I am thinking of purchasing an Asus n66u and using my TG582n as an ADSL modem or possibly as a multi-nat router setup as mentioned on grc.com/nat/nats.htm.
Any instructions or advice for these particular devices with Plusnet?
Thanks for any help.
ochristmas
Dabbler

@ratty - No I still haven't managed to sort it but don't let that stop you.  I had it working so it does work.  But arghhhhh I am pulling my hair out as I now can't get it to work - fine for internal routing just not interweb Sad  So if you are fairly savvy go for it I am sure you will get it going and it's a lovely router.  It must just be me!!!!!
@PeeGee - I thought it had to be in bridge mode to work?  I am not bothered about stats or anything like that I just want to be able to use the Asus to route my various devices on to the net.  So do I not need to use bridge mode then?  If not could you give me some brief instructions.  If both router and modem are reset to defaults is it simply a case of :
1. Connect router wan port to any port on router
2. Add PPoE user/pass details on router
Do I then change default gateway on router to be ip address of modem?
Any help much appreciated.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I thought it had to be in bridge mode to work? 
It doesn't BUT if you have the TG582n in its normal mode connected to the N66U then you will have 2 routers both doing NAT. This is ok for normal traffic but if you ever needed to do any port forwarding or voip then it will be a nightmare.
f both router and modem are reset to defaults is it simply a case of :
1. Connect router wan port to any port on router
2. Add PPoE user/pass details on router
Do I then change default gateway on router to be ip address of modem?
No, to do what PeeGee has, you need to:-
set the WAN connection type on the N66U to Dynamic IP via DHCP
Change its LAN subnet from 192.168.1.x to ( say ) 192.168.2.x ( i.e different subnet to the TG582n )
Change the DHCP pool on the N66U to be in above new subnet ( if not automatically changed )
Your username/password goes into the TG582n since its the primary router.
Then connect the N66U to any port on the TG582n

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ochristmas
The issue that windows reports is the user is that the ISP needs a username and password but apart from the entering the PPoE user/pass on the Asus I am not sure what to do.

Very puzzled why Windows is throwing an error - Can you post a screengrab?
Is there a log on the Asus router that shows any useful diagnostics while attempting to make a PPPoE connection?  May be worth setting up a PPPoE connection with your PC to prove the TG585 config is correct before getting the Asus router going?
ochristmas
Dabbler

@MisterW - Wahoooooooo!  Oh thank you so much!  Those instructions have got it going.  I know it's not ideal and whilst I don't do VOIP I do need to port forward later but for now the main thing is that I have internet with much much greater wireless access throughout the house.  Thanks again for taking the time to help a stranger out.
@pwatson - I think for now I need to keep my head down for the sake of family harmony.  The internet keeps going off every day as I try and get it going so people are losing patience with me.  For now I will leave it as it is - by all accounts a not very efficient setup but it does the main bulk of the family requirements.  In a week or 2 I will then retry the proper bridge method.  Thanks though for looking to help.
Thanks all - I'm off to receive rapturous applause from the family and yes! I will take all the credit Wink
Cheers
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

the main thing is that I have internet with much much greater wireless access throughout the house
If that's your main aim then the best approach may be to just use the N66U as a wireless AP, albeit a fairly expensive one! :).
To do that:-
Disable DHCP on the N66U.
Set its LAN IP to 192.168.1.63 ( in the TG582n subnet but out of its DHCP range )
Then connect the N66U via one of its LAN ports ( rather than its WAN port ) to the TG582n.
The N66U is now basically a network switch and wireless AP, it does no routing, NAT or IP allocation, that's all done by the TG582n. In this configuration you don't have the double NAT problem and any port forwarding is done just on the TG582n. You can still access the N66U for configuration on its new LAN IP (192.168.1.63).
NB if you do these changes 'on the fly' then any clients connected to the N66U will need to renew their IP addresses, since they will now need to get 192.168.1.x addresses allocated by the TG582n