Did you mean: 

Connected to gateway but not dns server

cedlor
Grafter

Re: Connected to gateway but not dns server

mushroommrs
Grafter

That's the problem with a dodgy internet connection - you can't ask when something doesn't happen as expected. Although it was left for around 20 mins in hope. Mobile provider Vodafone is useless for internet round here - no 3g, barely 2g  Undecided  In fact it took around 3 hours to apply all those changes as I was concerned that it would mess up the already messed up connection.
Unplugged the phone, SNRM went from 4.6 to 5.6 to 4.8 to 4.3 in two minutes. Stayed around 4.2 or 3 for around 15 mins.
Plugged in the filter (phone still off) SNRM went from 4.3 to 4.8 and down to 4.4 then after about 8 mins it jumped to 5.8 then dropped to 5.1 and back to 4.4 all in two mins.
Plugged in the phone (still off) hovered between 4.3 and 4.4
Turned phone on: 4.4 to 4.5 to 5.3 to 5.8 to 5.7 to 5.3 to 4.4 in one minute, stayed there for around 7 mins then 4.7 - 5.3 - 4.4 in 1 min.
Now seems to be dancing between 4.3 and 4.4
BTW speed 0.95/0.30 70.38ms
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK then well done for all that. The other trouble with dodgy internet connections, especially when they are intermittent, is that often the average user doesn't realise until there is more than one thing apparently wrong. It's possible you might have had that in that the DNS issue is/was purely down to the extended ping times and the slow throughput speeds. At least when you last posted, those were at least usable values.
We've also shown that the DECT doesn't appear to be causing any issues, nor does there seem to be a problem with the filtered face plate.
This SNRM variation might not be connected to that DNS issue. We really need to try and monitor your connection automatically and in more detail.
There is a program to do this with, but it may not run with your current modem/router. Even if it does, it won't yield the information that can be obtained using the TG582n which may/may not be faulty - we'll deal with that point in a moment. Certainly don't want to swap back to that tonight.
So I'll post back with some information about the program shortly, and some tips on setting it up if you are prepared to give it a go?
In the meantime, keep an eye on the throughput speeds and ping times and post back any changes you start to see.
mushroommrs
Grafter

Yes I'll give it a go. I take it that the computer will need to remain on?  Would the bt homehub 3 be any use? I can always swap it with my friend for the belkin.  I am on the iPad now. Here is a speed test from TBB.  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1446406843144985355
I am a member on samknows if there is anything helpful on that.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes computer would need to stay on, but depending on what we see, there may subsequently be no point overnight, see how it goes.
I'd rather not go down the route of using the HH3, again I suspect the level of detail will not be any better.
Considering the general issues so far the TBB test result looked quite reasonable. SamKnows gives a good overview of the download performance of a connection, but it doesn't provide the sort of detailed analysis that we need.
The program is RouterStatsLite (RSL for short), very easy to set up, download the zipped version (it contains 2 files, a text file and the executable). If you are familiar wth Windows explorer, that will be useful.
Create/Install to a directory called C:/RouterStats-Lite - don't install it in Program Files to avoid any potential permission/privilege conflicts. Just extract the 2 files to that directory and create a desktop shortcut to the executable.
Create another folder, perhaps in your Shared Documents, maybe call it RSLdata, this is where you'll save Graph captures and a Log.
Double click the desktop icon to start the executable. Do not click on the Start Arrow, bottom left, yet! but it ought to automatically open at the Setup tab the first time anyway. Maximise the RouterStats Window.
First go to the Setup tab, then the Router tab and select the modem/router. Now in your case we don't know if the program is going to work as your Belkin N1 F5D8631-4A isn't listed, but it may work with one of the other options. Try the Belkin F5D-8630 first.
The URL tab should show the path where you get the stats, tick the box for the full path if applicable and then On the Login tab, there should be a tick in the box 'Router requires you to login' for most modem/routers.
The Username will show the default one, which you may have changed and the password may be a default one (unless changed by you) or the one provided with the router originally - note, this is not your broadband password but make sure it is the password you normally use to login to the modem/router.
On the Graph tab, initially, leave ticks in the Adjust axis automatically boxes, you may want to alter the settings later. Tick Noise Margin Vertical Axis 'Plot average value of previous 50 points', but not the Connection Speed average. Remember to click Apply on any you change (and any other time you make changes).
In the Sample Interval box choose 'Sample router every 10 seconds' and 'Points per page 720' and click Apply.
Next, go to the Capture tab. Define the folder where you want to save the Captured graphs, this could be the folder I suggested in Shared Documents - RSLdata - or another of your choice. Tick 'Capture noise margin graph images', also tick 'Capture connection speed graph images' and also tick 'Capture part-graphs when RouterStats-Lite closes'. Tick the 'Capture ping plot images'. (Note - the Ping capture setting is not saved on RSL close, so you'll have to re-tick it everytime you start the program.).
Go to the Log tab, type the filename you want for the log, e.g. RSLite.txt & then browse to the folder you want to save it in, suggest the same as the graphs, when selected, the full pathname will appear in the box. Comma separated values is selected by default, and log every 1 sample.
Nothing to change on the Appearance tab.
On the System tab, tick 'Minimise to system tray', 'Prompt before closing', 'Show noise margin on tray icon' & 'Show tooltip hints'. If you want the Ping plotter, tick that as well. On the PIng tab you need to specify the IP address to ping - try 212.159.13.49 - one of Plusnet's ntp servers.
You can now go to the Noise Margin tab and click on the green Start button. You should see a Green Camera icon on the LHS showing capture is active.
If you  right click on the graph, the drop down menu shows a tick against Capture. You will also see some other options you can use at any time, (similar on the other graphs) but Tick 'Plot Upstream Noise'.
Now if things are working, you should see the correct values for sync speed and SNRM appear. If nothing sensible appears within 30 seconds, something is set wrong, or it won't work with this choice of Modem/router. Click the Stop (square) button. Double check the settings and if correct then we'll have to try the other option.
If so use Windows Explorer (or a similar program to go to the C:/RouterStats-Lite folder.You should see a configuration file called RouterStatsLite.ini now delete it (not the executable .exe).
Start the program again and this time choose the Belkin F5D-8633-4 v1 / F5D-8636-4 v2 Modem/router choice. Go through all the setup steps as above and try again.
If it still doesn't work, we may not be successful. Delete the RouterStatsLite.ini file again, then if you feel like having a go, read the help file and choose [User Defined] at the bottom of the list, and try and select the Define Stats data as per the Help file. I can't help you with that as I'm not familiar with your modem/router, but once you've done that, if successful, the other settings are as above.
Good luck.
mushroommrs
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

Some degradation in throughput speed there.
mushroommrs
Grafter

Well that sounds like a whole bundle of fun. Simples  Wink
Let you know how I get on - eventually  Grin
Anotherone
Champion

There are worse things Grin  Ask away if you have any queries and I'll try and help.
mushroommrs
Grafter

mushroommrs
Grafter

Just setting this up. Have got to Capture tag - there is no 'Capture ping plot images'  ?
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, sorry Embarrassed  I went through the Tabs in a logical order. You need to go to the System tab (it's later in my note) and tick the 'Show ping plotter' there first.
mushroommrs
Grafter

Yes. Finally figured that out, but no joy with connection.  Have tried to 'user define' but can't find the properties for the router status. I have windows 10, and edge or firefox and have tried to follow instructions to find it but not getting far....  Cry
Anotherone
Champion

It's broadly like this. Open the stats page in your browser. You should see the stats similar to those you posted in reply #50. Now using Firefox, put your cursor in the area of those stats and right-click. On the menu, where it says 'This frame', select 'Open Frame in new Tab' . If it does that successfully, and the stats are displayed in the new Tab, copy the url from that tab and put it into the Address space on the url tab in RSL. Then go to the Define stats tab and click 'Get Source'.
With luck the stats will appear. If you can see the numbers, you just have to define the positions as per the Help file.
If the 'Get Source' doesn't show the actual numbers, it probably can't be got to work Sad
mushroommrs
Grafter

I don't have 'this frame' or 'open frame in new tab' I have View page source' view page info' and inspect element. I can find home.html and main_router.css and showMenu.js  ?Huh