Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected but no internet.

JamesM
Grafter

Connected but no internet.

Hi,
I have just been down to my Mum's and she can't get on the internet. All the lights are on the Thomson and I can get into the PN router page, 192.168.1.254.  It is connected but when I run a diagnostic it says no VPN and no PPP. There is a triangle warning symbol on the little monitor in the task bar.
Any suggestions.
Thanks
Jim
Edit,
I have just phoned faults and it says no outages, i then rang to speak to someone and it says we are experiencing problems and we have transfered to London, if you are having connection problems please give it 1 hour.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Connected but no internet.

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1348832604.htm
Emergency BT maintenance (35279) - NEW
Broadband
Posted on: Friday 28 September 2012, 12:43
We've been made aware by our suppliers of a problem at Stepney Green that may be causing broadband performance issues for our customers. This may be affecting customers nationwide.
To resolve this issue our suppliers are temporarily disconnecting customers from the internet to move them to a different piece of hardware. This should only result in a short period offline for anyone affected.
Any customers having problems connecting once the maintenance is complete are advised to log into their router interface and click connect.
We'll leave this Service Status thread open whilst we monitor this and will provide another update later this afternoon.
Kind Regards,
Chris Purvey
Customer Support
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Jim,
I will give my Mum a ring and ask if it is back on yet.
JamesM
Grafter

Just went down to my Mum's to hook her back up on the internet.
The Thomson 585v7 I gave her has allways had a sync of 12500 but everytime I looked at the connection it was only up for between 3 and 8 hours, so it was dropping connection everyday. I went down today and put my Technicolor on to see if this kept connection any better. I checked the sync speed and it has gone up to 14500. I can't see the router being the cause for the higher sync, so I am wondering is it because of the changes yesterday, moving customers to different hardware.
Also I am having timeouts on every web page apart from plusnets ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The router change could easily give that speed difference but as they both use Broadcom chipsets I am surprised that you are seeing that difference
JamesM
Grafter

To be honest Jim, I was surprised that my mum kept the 12500 sync for so long with the router dropping connection everyday. I will keep an eye on the technicolor for a week, then I think it will be time for me to check out all the telephone wireing.
JamesM
Grafter

I have tried 3 different routers on my Mum's computer trying to get her connected again, I did a factory reset on the technicolor which was mine to start with. I put all my Mum's details in and it came up with the screen saying something like setting up your router this could take 10 minutes and the grey oblongs going from left to right. 30 minutes later and still stuck on the page.
I went into the internet settings and under PPP settings it is still showing my user name and password. How do I get rid of my user name and password to be able to put my Mum's in. Or is it just a case of PN are still having problems and it can't connect to set up the router.
This is doing my head in.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you sure the router is not synced and connected to Plusnet?
If the serial number of that router is still assigned to you it will set itself up as you even though connected to a different (Plusnet) line - and you would be charged for usage. It looks like that might be what's happened - I would expect a factory reset to clear out any knowledge of previous settings.
David
hazzardboy7
Grafter

hi, i lost my plusnet connection on Saturday at 11.00 am, the details are there in the router but it says no ppp im on a fibre connection
I have phoned support we have done everything possible, but still no internet via plusnet (using a different connection as i write this) there is a dsl light on the open reach modem etc, but as i said no ppp comes up, so maybe there is still problems, who knows.
Ive only been with plusnet for 4 days first 2 where fine, the next 2 days i cant connect.
JamesM
Grafter

All the lights are on, on the technicolor router, it says connected on the router page but there is a little yellow triangle on the little monitor down by the clock on the taskbar. When I hover the mouse over it, it says no internet connection. This is what was happening to mine (Belkin)on Saturday morning. I was connected but I could only access the PN home page and forum, all other web pages timed out. I restarted numerous times, did a factory reset and then I got the little yellow triangle and couldn't connect. I went down to try and sort my Mum's out and when I came back home mine was fine.
I have tried the thomson 516, the 585v7 and the Technicolor on my Mum's all to no avail. I have now turned off my Mum's router (technicolor) and will try again tomorrow. When I last tried my Mum's connection the little yellow triangle had disappeared and it said connected but every web page timed out, couldn't retrieve mail so I haven't got a clue. I did the factory reset but it wouldn't set up the router it just stayed on the setup screen with the gray bars going from left to right. The router page 192.168.1.254 still says it is connected and all the lights are on but there is no internet access.
Just a thought, but is it possible that because my user name and password are still in the Technicolor, it stuffed up my connection (2 routers on 2 different computers both with my name), but if that is the case why doesn't the 516 work that was given to my Mum by PN. Is the 516 able to do 21CN. I had a google but I got 2 different answers, one says it is ADSL1 only, and the other said it is capable of ADSL2+.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Having two lines connected using the same user name would definitely stuff your connection if you are on a fixed IP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JamesM
Grafter

This just keeps going from bad to worse, halfway through a phone call to my Sister and the line goes dead and now it says unregistered on my phone display, and none of my phones work.
Getting back to my Mum's router, how do I clear all my information out of the technicolor router ?
Edit
Re-registered my cordless phones  Cool
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think using the Pick a task Set up my Thomson Gateway wizard (on the Thomson Gateway main menu) should enable you to replace current settings in the router at your mum's by her details. However unless its serial number is removed from Plusnet's TR69 ACS I think there is a risk that TR69 could change it back if anything changes on your account.
David
JamesM
Grafter

I have tried everything I can think of with the Technicolor, when I do a factory reset, it comes up with the TR69 user and password, I then put my Mum's details in and it works for about a minute then web pages stop loading. When I check the details, my user name and password are there again.
I have ended up doing a factory reset on the Thomson 516 that PN supplied my Mum, and it seems to be working fine now,  though my Mum has no wireless for when the Grandkids come down with thier gizmos.
I think that is what used to happen with the Thomson that I passed onto my Mum so she could have wireless spraxyt, once a month or so I had to input all my Mum's details again as the internet had stopped working. Although I asked  PN customer care and they said the Thomson was not registered to me.
So maybe a phone call to PN to get the Technicolor's serial number changed to my Mum's account ?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

If you can message me your mothers username then I can arrange to get that switched over.