cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected at 19.6mb but only 8mb download?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Connected at 19.6mb but only 8mb download?

Hi all
Is my current speed capped for some reason?  - I did change from one Tg582n router (which was fine) to another,  and the current one doesn't seem to download any higher than about 8mb.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Connected at 19.6mb but only 8mb download?

Please take a look at the speed issues thread - link below - and post all of the information requested.
Was the speed test performed over wifi?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cagney1994
Rising Star

I've read that particular thread and to be honest, I don't think it applies to my issue. I just switched over to my original Tg582n router and the speed went back up to normal (about 15/16 mb).
One more thing: I factory-rested the 2nd Tg582n router and now I can't seem to open up any pages except for Plusnet ones  Huh
After giving my username and password, the message I receive is that everything's fine: "
All done
Your broadband connection is now ready to use. Happy surfing!

So I'm not sure what's going on.
And just to add; I'm connected at  1,215 / 19,661 which incidentally seems to the exact same figures as my 1st router. Is the profile stuck somewhere and as enquired, how come no other pages will open except for Plusnet ones?
------
EDIT: I think I finally managed to sort it out. Not sure how but it's all working now Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Indeed a stuck profile or a not yet updated profile could indeed be the issue.
The reason for asking you to post the specified information is that we can verify such matters rather than trying to guess what it might be.  See here for how a synch speed change becomes a usable change in data speeds. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,147473.msg1299165.html#msg1299165
There is every possibility that the reason things improved when you changed routers is that you obtained a new PPP session.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cagney1994
Rising Star

If it was a stuck profile, how would I 'unstick' it? - Can only PN do that or is there a way to do it myself?
And my full stats are as follows:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:02:39
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,223 / 19,661
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 11.66 / 127.43
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.3 / 18.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.4 / 6.2
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 56 / 2,415
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 14
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 29 / 725
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Depends on what the actual issue is / was.  A 'stuck' profile is a specific issue which only PlusNet can resolve.  If it is a matter of the profile 'propagation' as outlined in the link, then depending on what the full set of speed related data shows (router stats on their own is not the whole picture) you might be able to achieve an improvement by dropping the PPP session.  I suspect that you have encountered the same issue as the person on the other thread.