cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congestion?

Trevstan
Grafter

Congestion?

Anyone else experiencing some weird speeds tonight or is it just me? I lagged out my previous game on the xbox took a few speed tests and there around 25/30 down 16 up and 30ish ping, normally is the mid 70s down and 16  up and around 17/18 ping.
55 REPLIES 55
Finguz
Grafter

Re: Congestion?

99% sure I'm seeing congestion on the Scarborough exchange ( mysca ), which exchange are you on?
Trevstan
Grafter

Stanley County Durham exchange, problem being I have just fitted a new RJ45 between the modem and router (15m) and a phone extension next to it was ok before getting max speeds but then the last like 2 hours have been really bad just wondering if it's anything to do with my wiring or a wide spread problem.
Finguz
Grafter

All I can suggest is opening a ticket and seeing what the Plusnet guys have to say I'm afraid  Crazy
Trevstan
Grafter

Yeah i'll keep an eye on it if i hasn't got any better after midnight i'll test it with a smaller RJ45 see if the new cable is the stem of the problem.
englishrick
Grafter

Same problem as I have...Peak time around 5-5.30pm until whenever as I usually test before I goto bed at 10pm(Up for work at 5am). The BT test i have included was one such incident when I was getting really dire speeds. My ping is high 30+ and I am  having problems on the PS3 now with game lag/stutter....getting unusable....In fact here you go just done a speedtest and I usually get 70+Mbps down 16 Mbps Up....so still [Censored] at 11.32pm at night probably because all the little runts are online...

englishrick
Grafter

LMFAO... Theres no wonder why I cant play online PS3...
Finguz
Grafter

You're not alone..
Trevstan
Grafter

Took at 11:48

Seems fine now, at a guess must be down to peak times.
Edit-: Nvm spoke to soon same thing happening  Sad
Edit 2-: Seems like it must be a peak time issue both took around 1:20am

Atleast i know my cabling is all setup right  Cheesy  Grin
Trevstan
Grafter

Same thing happened last night till about 1am and it is happening tonight so must be a peak time issue?
Was stuck at 15/20mb down and 17 up at one point so hopped gateways a few times and got this as my best (which is still good just not what I usually get)

Both took at around 8pm.
As you can see my ping and upload is not getting affected only my downstream, also I have noticed  a bit of packet loss on my BQM. (I'll add that after I have ran it a few hours as i lost the last one after deleting it due to IP change).
Finguz
Grafter

Do you recognise any of the area codes in this proposed maintenance?
Trevstan
Grafter

01207 is my area code what's it mean?
Finguz
Grafter

It's the same VP upgrade that also contains my 01723 area code, due to take place in on the 25th. At least one or two of us think it is. Plusnet staff have suggested the fault should be cleared by tuesday and that planned maintenance coincides nicely.
Luckily for you, you're not getting hit as bad as we are in Scarborough...
Bright
Grafter

It seems that BTW does not have enough network capacity in those exchange areas. So during peak times, throughput is reduced. I understand the maintenance work is to add extra capacity. BTW's network is what connects your exchange to Plusnet's network. So even though Plusnet has plenty of capacity, some customers are still seeing peak time slow downs.
My guess is that they have been caught on the hop by BT Retail and Plusnet switching to unlimited packages on FTTC and suddenly found that their normal capacity forecasting isn't keeping up with demand  Huh
Finguz
Grafter

Yup that makes sense and ties in with what one of the many Chris's has said thus far.