cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congestion evening - Beaconsfield

juzzyp
Dabbler

Congestion evening - Beaconsfield

After one problem with the traffic management being over zealous with an innocent Windows 10 download and Sky On Demand, I can't even do that as it appears my exchange is now suffering from congestion.
Regular speed drops every weekday evening to 2mb / 4mb when the router is connected wired or wireless and the line stats are sitting at 12mb, yet I run a line test at 5am in the morning and it's running at full speed. Even "high priority" traffic like VOIP was dropping off yesterday.
When I joined plus.net they were awesome, good speeds, great service and very transparent, what's happening to this once great provider?
Just really frustrating, but I suppose I have to expect this with change, that in such a competitive market something had to give and so it's the reliability of my service, such a real pity.
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Congestion evening - Beaconsfield

Sorry to hear your having issues.
If you can go through our faults troubleshooter using the link below our faults team will look into this for you.
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
juzzyp
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew
Sorry to hear your having issues.
If you can go through our faults troubleshooter using the link below our faults team will look into this for you.
https://faults.plus.net

This is the reply I received...
--
Thanks for answering our questions
Because you've said that your broadband is working, we're closing this ticket. If you have a problem with your broadband in the future, please use the Broadband Troubleshooter to report it.
Thanks for confirming that your broadband is working
If you have a problem with your broadband in the future, please come back to report it again.

--
As I've explained.
- It happens in the evening
- On any device (and when others are all disconnected)
- Wired and also Wireless
- No excessive downloading going on in the background
- After 11pm and at 5am in the morning, the speeds return to normal
- Connected to the main socket with faceplate removed
- Running the BT Wholesale speed test checker
Connection stats clearly state 12mb - 13mb connection, every speed test during peak hours (anything from 4pm onwards) is 2mb - 4mb
What else could be causing such a slowdown?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

On the basis that this looks like exchange congestion, this has nothing to do with PlusNET directly.  It will be impacting all users across all ISPs the same.
If your router supports WAN ping response, setting up a TBB BQM will help confirm if there is exchange congestion.  Thereafter its a matter of waiting for BTw to increase capacity.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

No capacity issues are being flagged up at your exchange at the moment, however I can see you've been back through the faults checker and that's ready for our faults team to look at.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
juzzyp
Dabbler

I can't run a BQM as I'm on a Dynamic IP, when I did set a ping response setting up on my router, I then spent an hour trying to reconnect and I couldn't get online.
I unticked the setting on the router and it took an hour before my connection was stable again, I don't know what's going on but this is the most unstable few days I've had with Plus Net.
I've no idea why rock sold speeds and connection should suddenly get this bad when I've been away for a few days, it's been pretty much on and up besides the odd disconnection.
The big outage should have nothing to do it with it.