cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused!

les37b
Grafter

Confused!

I had a text this morning to tell me my modem was on its way. Little did I suspect it would turn up within 5 minutes of receiving it!  (True!!!)

Anyway.... Im now confused!

Looking inside the box, it looks like its suggesting there will be another Fibre modem and that this received modem is simply a router.
Is that correct?
6 REPLIES 6
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Confused!

Hi les37b,
That is correct, we'll provide you with the router. When the engineer comes to install your service he will provide and install the modem for you.
les37b
Grafter

So two devices that need a power supply then!
Is there not a modem router for fibre then?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The modem is part of the BT Openreach FTTC service, the router is suppled by Plusnet.  In principal, the demarcation point of the FTTC service is the ethernet port on the BT modem.  You can connect a single PC direct to the modem if you like but using a router is far more convenient.
Some users prefer to use their own combined modem/router (usually quite expensive devices for FTTC (VDSL2)) but this may not be officially within the terms of the BT Openreach FTTC regulations.
I use a Fritz!Box 7390 combined VDSL2 modem / router but keep the BTO modem available for re-installation just in case of any problem.
Eventually I'm sure there officially will be a lot more freedom on the choice of devices connected to FTTC.
A typical modem/router probably consumes more power than either the BTO modem or a standard router but is likely more efficient then separate devices (though the electricity cost is not really significant compared with the cost of the FTTC service).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
les37b
Grafter

Thanks W23.
The question w more because my current setup is a 4 port gigabit modem router (which is essential obviously) connected to a 16 Port managed switch.
I was merely wondering if it meant I could miss out the router all together, but I expect the firmware controlling firewalls etc would still be needed. (Though I'm sure there is a comprehensive control menu behind the switch, none would have modem like factors - though wouldn't that ALL be on the BT modem anyway?

Got another question!
My network currently uses 192.168.0.X with the rout as 1.
I note the new mom uses 192.168.1.254
Is it possible to change that to 192.168.0.1 ?
I ask because I have a lot of devices, including the managed switch which will all need changing. I'd rather change 1 device than 30!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Is it possible to change that to 192.168.0.1 ?
Yes, see this thread for the instructions http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105806.0.html/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

les37b
Grafter

Life saver.  Cheesy
Ta muchly