cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused

HaresEar
Grafter

Confused

Ok after it has taken a month to get my phone line sorted my Broadband stays connected.  Doing a BT Wholesale test I get speed raging from less the 3Mb unto 13.30Mb. My speed is all over the place.
I can only use a wireless connection but on both my pc and macbook I get similar results.
Looking at this TBB graph something does not look right.
My PN router has the latex firmware so I am at a loss to know what the issue is????Huh

Another test.

9 REPLIES 9
HaresEar
Grafter

Re: Confused

Bt Wholesale test.

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
3.73 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.73 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 13.97 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.73 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.73Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.
HaresEar
Grafter

I have done some more tests etc and I think it is down to my wireless connection. So I may invest in a new router.
Asus DSL N55U seems favourite. Anyone got one and is it OK?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Before you do that, download inSSIDer 3 home edition and look at your wifi spectrum.  Use it to find the clearest channel in your location.
Also look here for router tweaks which might improve performance.  Http://npr.me.uk

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HaresEar
Grafter

Unfortunately insider is not available for the Mac. There is a utility on the mac which I can check channels. Trouble is near by wifi appear to change their channels when I change mine. Could be the automatic setting.  The quality of my wifi can also be check and it varies from goo to poor. Transfer speed is hit and miss from 5Mb unto 52Mb. 
geoffa
Grafter

Quote from: HaresEar
Unfortunately insider is not available for the Mac.

Not true. Running it on my MacBook. See below:
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider-for-mac/
HaresEar
Grafter

Ok it is available but not from the UK apps store and I do not want to change to America just to get the app.
Thanks anyway.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's no need to run inSSIDer. inSSIDer only shows the channels and signal strength of each wireless network, it doesn't show how heavily each network is used, and it doesn't show non-wifi sources of interference, so it's actually better to just try the different channels.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Fair do's it might not tell you everything, but it will certainly tell you which channels have more / less APs on them.  Choosing one with fewer than another has to be a useful starting point rather than poking around in the dark.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

No it doesn't. Probably the only useful thing inSSIDer shows is how the channels overlap, which is why you should stick to channels 1,6 and 11. That leaves about two different channels to try initially. There might be a good reason why APs are automatically avoiding a channel. Or perhaps you just can't see any distant APs on a certain channel because you can't see the weak signals above the interference.
And of course, sharing a channel with other APs may be no problem whatsoever. I'm on channel 1 and I can see a few different APs also on channel 1. I can also see a few other networks and channels 6 and 11. I don't have any problems with my wireless.