cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about profiles and speeds on FTTC

pengbo
Grafter

Confused about profiles and speeds on FTTC

Hi, New to Plusnet.  Everything seems to have gone swimmingly so far with all the communition from plusnet being spot on.
Anyway got connected today and the BT Engineer did my line test and said your line is spot on 40Mbps synch and your speed is 37Mbps.  I asked why it wasn;t synching higher as I had ordered the 78Mb product and he said it was connected to what they had been told to connect it to.
So done some research and testing and I can pretty much get the 37Mbps from any speedtest online. Varies between 35 and 36 mostly.  So did the btwholesale test it returns the same.  Not worried about the possible speed from the master socket and my pc being a little different.  What I am concerned about is the BT checker originally stated a possible speed of 62Mbps which was why I decided to order the unlimited 78Mb connection.  OK might not have been able to get the full 78Mb but 62Mb would be fantastic.  But it looks like my connection has been setup as 40Mb and that is all I will get.
So my question is do I need to wait for things to progress a little more and I will get assigned a faster connection or is that it I simply can't have the 78Mb product?
Also how do I work out what profiles I should have? The BT diagnostic test came back with IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps for download and Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps.  Where do I find what Plusnet have set my connection to?
Thanks for reading and any info greatly received.
3 REPLIES 3
grahamt
Rising Star

Re: Confused about profiles and speeds on FTTC

Your BT profile and your speed look right for a 40mb connection. You can find the Plusnet profile by going to the member centre and following the links to 'Connection Settings.. High Speed Broadband. The Plusnet profile is given as 'Current Line Speed'. My guess is that it will say '37 Mb'.
OK, so you've been set up with a 40/10mb connection instead of the 80/20 you ordered with 'Unlimited'. It looks like a mistake (probably BT Openreach's, though it's not important from your point of view). The good news is that Plusnet can put this right pretty easily and quickly. Wait until tomorrow, when someone from the Digital Care Team should pick up your query, check your account and (assuming it really is a mistake) change the settings so that you get whatever your line can provide.
When that happens, you might find you get more than 62mb at first, but then the speed might fall a bit as more people get connected to your cabinet.
Graham
pengbo
Grafter

Thanks graham.  It does indeed say 37Mb for Current line speed.  At least I know where to check it now thanks.
Will wait it's 5 times faster than it was anyway but if there is a possibility of it getting anywhere near the 62Mb then that would be better Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pengbo,
Looks like this has been picked up on another thread, sorry we missed this one - but by the look of it you should be all sorted by tomorrow morning Smiley