Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about line-shaping on Premium

mpercival
Dabbler

Confused about line-shaping on Premium

Hi all,
After my previous message a few days ago, I'm now the proud owner of a full "Premium" connection that actually thinks it is on ADSL2+.
Now, I'm still waiting for things to settle down as far as speed goes...already seen a small increase in donload connection speed but nothing spectacular.
My question was around the limits applied to the "Premium" account. It's just after 8 in the morning and I'm trying a quick download from a cloudfront.net server and the speed I am seeing is so close to 256KB that I reckon I am locked to a 2Mbit download capacity.
I can't see anything in the expected speeds chart that would apply to that speed at this time of day. Am I reading something wrong here?
Both BT and speedtest tell me I'm running at around 1.84Mb.
Martin
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Confused about line-shaping on Premium

Hi,
2Mbit and 256KB are the same thing Smiley there are 8 bits in a byte so 2048 (2Mb) / 8 = 256KB
Hope that helps
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Reboot and you should see a decent improvement. Wink
mpercival
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies...I see I left out a bit too much info to start with.
Mand, I rebooted and I'm up to 7940 connection speed which is a nice start....it was always around 6600 anyway, so I think this will gradually get better.
As for the 256KB, 2Mb thing, yes I know they are the same - just one is the download monitor reported units and the other is as written in the plus net guide to download sppeds throughout the day.
My question was more along the lines of: When I have a 6-7Mb connection, why am I seeing 2Mb (exactly) as my limiting speed  - particularly at 8 in the morning when I see nothing in the guide to say that I should  be going that slow? It felt like too much of a coincidence for it to be exactly on that 2Mb limit Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Your account had a profile of 2000 set, which I've now removed. You should see speeds up to the limit of your BT profile now.
mpercival
Dabbler

Hi Mand....that's excellent, thanks! I'm glad I wasn't being completely dumb Smiley