Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Premium Speeds

annapp
Grafter

Re: Confused about Premium Speeds

Hi,
@Chris,  as you can see below my router is now reporting the Up Bandwidth 864kbps - great - but the Down Bandwidth is still 7.616 and the DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A so still no ADSL2+ or 9Mbps line speed.
Uptime: 0 days, 9:03:33
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 864 / 7,616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 9.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.5 / 12.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 16.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 80 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Thanks
Annette
Mand
Grafter

It's not possible to get that upload speed on standard ADSL, only on 2+. Is it possible your router's misreporting? Have you got the latest firmware on it?
coastergrotto
Grafter

Mand:
As you are aware updating the firmware solved my problem but mine was a BT Voyager 2110 but annapp's router is is a new Thomson 585v7 supplied by Plusnet.    Surely this would have the latest firmware pre installed would it not?
I agree though it's worth seeing if it has the latest version of firmware installed.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Mand,
I thought you could still get the Upstream speed uncapped on WBC Max 8Mb/s ( ADSL1) ?
SamKnows seems to think you can http://www.samknows.com/broadband/21cn_broadband.php ( about 1/2 down the page )
WBC Max 8Mb/s - First up we have WBC Max 8Mb/s which provides essentially the same circuit as ADSL Max. However, as can be seen on all WBC products, there is an option for an uncapped upstream variant of the product. On standard ADSL (ITU G.992.1), this would allow for an upstream of up to 1Mbps. Interestingly, whilst the standard product has an upstream capped at 448kbps, there is no 832kbps capped product - which is what current ADSL Max business products are based upon.

Edit: to me it still looks like BT never actioned the switch to ADSL2+ and all they've done with the latest order Chris placed, is uncap the Upstream.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

annapp
Grafter

Hi,
I'm not sure how I tell if I have the latest firmware, its version 8.2.23.0, I cannot see anything that allows me to check manually for firmware updates. As I said the router is new from Plusnet last week.
Thanks
Annette
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@annapp, I cant see any definitive info on firmware versions but that 8.2.23.0 sounds reasonably new and as you say it was only supplied recently and therefore should be good to go on ADSL2+.
I suppose its just possible that the router is configured to force ADSL1 ( G.992.1 ) but I can't see anywhere in the manual that shows its possible ( I dont have a TG585 so can't actually look in the menus ) and I wouldnt have thought Annette had done that judging by her other replies.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

annapp
Grafter

@MisterW, we have looked through the router menus but there is no way to manually set the connection type (ADSL 1, ADSL2+ etc) so the connection is automatic. We have also done a BT speed test which reports the new up Bandwidth 864kbps and the down at 7,616. Also my partner just did a ftp upload that was approx 84.5 kb/sec which I'm told sounds about right!
Thanks for the continued help.
Annette
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

we have looked through the router menus but there is no way to manually set the connection type (ADSL 1, ADSL2+ etc) so the connection is automatic.

That was my assumption to be honest, some routers have the ability to force a specific connection type but I guessed that you hadn't set yours. It was just useful to check that possibility and confirm it for Mand & Chris. My best guess is still that BT messed up your change to ADSL2+ and have set your line to ADSL1. Mand & Chris don't work weekends as far as I know so TBH I wouldn't expect anything to happen until Monday but I guess at least you have a broadband connection albeit at 8Mb.
Lets hope either Mand or Chris pick it up on Monday and sort it out.
Thanks for the continued help.

You're welcome
Ian

ramidoodle
Grafter

we have looked through the router menus but there is no way to manually set the connection type (ADSL 1, ADSL2+ etc) so the connection is automatic.

This may help, but if things didn't go well, you can always reset the router to the factory settings and reconfig with your username and password
annapp
Grafter

@RamiDoodle,
Thanks for that, this morning I received the following response on my support ticket for this problem:
" I have requested a refresh of your line to see if it can reset itself. Please allow 48 hours for this to complete"
So we'll wait until Tuesday to see what happens before messing with the router:-)
Thanks
Annette
annapp
Grafter

Hi again,
I'm getting confused here we just looked at the router and its reporting a bandwidth increase in both up/down but still ADSL 1:
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,024 / 8,128
Then did a BT speedtest:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6043 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1024 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 13.92:22.89:63.2 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
So has the line refresh already worked? But still no ADSL2+
Question: If the router was forcing ADSL1 but the line was actually ADSL2+ would this effect the connection rate reported by the BT Speedtester?
Perhaps we should try to telnet the router like RamiDoodle suggested?
Thanks once again
Annette
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So has the line refresh already worked? But still no ADSL2+

Looks like the line refresh has happened, but all it's done is remove what is called 'interleaving'. With interleaving enabled most routers will only synch at a maximum of 7616 Kb whereas the max on ADSL1 is actually 8128Kb. Now that ( presumably ) interleaving is off after the line refresh your router is now synching at the maximum 8128Kb. I still don't think you have been put on ADSL2+.
Perhaps we should try to telnet the router like RamiDoodle suggested?

It might be worth a try, just to prove one way or the other. If you try setting to G.992.5 as per Rami's link using the
xdsl debug multimode config=g992.5_annex_a command. If your line has not been set to ADSL2+ then I don't believe it will synchronise at all with that setting and your DSL light will continue to flash on the router. If you then reset it back to multimode as per the link then it should synch again.
Actually before you do that, I've just downloaded the cli guide and I think there's a command which will show the current setting ( without changing anything ).
Telnet to the router as per Rami's link and login then type the command xdsl config adslmultimode and post the output. It should probably say something like adsl|adsl2|adsl2plus.

annapp
Grafter

@MisterW, we tried what you said but this i what we got:
{admin}=>:xdsl config adslmultimode
Missing parametervalue at the end of command :
:xdsl config adslmultimode
Unknown command.
Annette
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry about that, Try just xdsl config maybe that will display the information.
Not having a TG585 myself I'm working from the CLI manual which is not the world's best at giving examples.
I've attached a screenshot of the manual page I'm looking at if that helps

annapp
Grafter

OK this is what we got:
{admin}=>xdsl config
ADSL configuration:
adslmultimode = adsl2plus
detect-lop = enabled
syslog = disabled
So does what does that mean? The line is ADSL2+? So is the router not connecting correctly?
Thanks
Annette