Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Premium Speeds

annapp
Grafter

Confused about Premium Speeds

Hi,
New on the forum & not very technical!
I have just upgraded from ‘your way option 3’ to premium, Before changing I opened a ticket to ask if my exchange was ADSL2+ enabled and was told “Your exchange is enabled and the estimated line speed is showing as 9Mbps”
I ordered a new Thomson 585v7 from Plusnet and my partner installed this a few days before we were due to change to premium, everything went fine and we continued to get speeds of around 6200-6500kbps as with our previous router.
Yesterday (12/12/09) we changed to premium the email from Plusnet said our line speed was 7Mbps, my partner did a few speed tests during the day and we seemed stuck at 1800-1900kbps. So I opened a ticket about this but I looked through this forum and saw the thread about this being a common problem when changing to Premium and to check line speed (2000) and the IP profile with the BT speedtest (which was 6500) and to ring support and get them to change the line speed to match the IP profile, they did this and we now have speeds of around 5900-5950kbps.
I know it is slight but we are effectively getting a slower speed than before with 'your way option 3'.
Ok so here is what I want to know:
Has my line actually been changed to ADSL2+?
Why was I told initially my line speed was showing as 9Mbps but now is 7Mbps?
Will this change we have read about the first 10 days, is there anything we have to do our end? Should we restart the router every day or not?
We have both read various things the Plusnet site & forum about ADSL2+ but I find it all a bit confusing.
Here is the connection details from the router:
Uptime: 0 days, 17:31:26
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 13.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 11.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 15.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Thanks for any help
Annette
54 REPLIES 54
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Confused about Premium Speeds

Has my line actually been changed to ADSL2+?

It doesn't look like it, the giveaway is here on your router stats
DSL Type:  G.992.1 annex A

Thats plain ADSL, doesn't look like the upgrade to 21CN ( and ADSL2+ ) has been done yet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

annapp
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, that explains it, I have actually asked about this (whether the connection has actually been changed to ADSL2+ yet) on the ticket I opened yesterday but as yet no reply.
Thanks again
Annette
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi Annette,
Your broadband order to move the line to the 21CN (ADSL2+) is due to complete on 16/12/2009. hope this helps Smiley
annapp
Grafter

Hi RamiDoodle,
Thanks for taking the time to look in to this - I see now, the 16th is the date Plusnet takes the monthly payment -  it all starts to make sense! It would save a lot of confusion if this completion date was mentioned in the email that is sent acknowledging the product change.
Will we need to do anything our end?
What about the IP profile & line speed, will I have to ask for the line speed to be adjusted again?
Thanks again
Annette
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hiya
I think it is a coincidence that the order completes on your next billing date. We submit the order to BTwholesale with a required date of (5 working days + order submission date).
the router should sync and connect normally as long as it supports ADSL2+. The line will go through a training period where the optimum sync rate, SNR, IP Profile will be set. You don't need to do anything at your end at all Smiley
The profile on your account should update automatically, if for any reason this didn't happen just give us a ring or let us know here please.
annapp
Grafter

Hi,
The 16th has now passed and my connection has still not moved to ADSL2+, the router is still reporting the same connection as the other day, the only difference I can see is the up bandwidth has dropped slightly and the uptime has changed . I have updated my ticket with this info
Uptime: 0 days, 0:52:29
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 416 / 7,616
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 9.0 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.0 / 12.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 16.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 69 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Thanks for your help on this.
Annette
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

From an initial look at the order, it completed on 16/12/2009 at 14:07:12.
Let me take a more detailed look.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Yep, your order is complete. Your upload is set to the standard upload at 448k, I can unrestrict this if you'd like?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

But the router is still synching at ADSL1
DSL Type:  G.992.1 annex A

@annapp, What model is your router, are you sure its ADSL2+ capable ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

coastergrotto
Grafter

It's the Thomson 585v7 from Plusnet, so it is compatible.
annapp
Grafter

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the replies, just to recap:
The router is a new Thomson 585v7 just received from Plusnet last week.
The up bandwidth was 448 but is now 416.
Still no ADSL2+ the router is still reporting:
Uptime: 0 days, 2:34:37
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 416 / 7,616
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 9.0 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.0 / 12.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 16.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 69 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
As I said on my initial post above before I changed to premium I was told my exchange was ASDL2+ enabled and I would see a line speed of 9Mbps
Thanks again
Annette
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@cosatergrotto , Thanks , I must learn to read ALL the posts gain when replying  , including the first  Roll_eyes
@annapp, Well the TG585 is ADSL2+ compatible so it looks like there is still a problem.
Just checking if you've restarted the router since the order completed yesterday...
I see the uptime on the router is  2:34:37, is that the time since the last reboot/poweron or is it just the connection time ? ( not sure what exactly its reporting since I don't have a TG585 ), its normally poweron time.
@Chris, its beginning to look like BT are telling you porkies  Smiley

Chris
Legend

Yep, which is the main reason I've placed an order to remove the 448 restriction on upstream. Hopefully this will kick things into gear tomorrow.
annapp
Grafter

Hi,
Chris, thanks for looking in to this, we will keep checking and see what happens tomorrow.
MisterW, thanks for your help with this, we have not rebooted the router since Saturday (12/12/09) but this morning when we checked the router info the Uptime was:  0 days, 0:52:29 so something Not our end must have reset at approx 9.00am.
Thanks again
Annette