Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Fibre installation....

vimesuk
Grafter

Confused about Fibre installation....

Hello
I have placed my order for both Unlimted fibre and a phones package. I have been told that my router has been ordered and today I have got a confirmation of an engineer calling on Monday 25th AM to complete the internal part of the Fibre connection.
I had supplied my MAC key from BE and in turn informed BE of my cancellation of my service with them, as requested.
So all seems to be going well except that I have just recieved a text to tell me that
"Your boradband service is due to go active by midnight om 26//03/2013. Please don't set up your router until we confirm your service is active."

Prior to the above text I had been told by deveral people that my downtime should be a minimum, the time that it takes for the engineer to do his stuff, and that I will then be up and going. But reading the above does not give me that impression...?
I had expected to have a reasonable continuity of service from BE to Fibre.

Thoughts please.?
(username vimesuk)
31 REPLIES 31
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Confused about Fibre installation....

Hi there,
We get this query a lot, sorry for the confusion. It's as I posted here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113145.msg972756.html#msg972756
All will be fine and the account will be active for when the engineer is installing the service Smiley
vimesuk
Grafter

and you are still managing to scare people with it  Grin
Thanks
must take deep breaths
dick:quote
shalom2010
Grafter

Mine said the same. I given the reassurance, however, whilst the engineer was here Plusnet staff had to 'configure' their end when I rang them. (I had a red light showing on router). Took about an hour after
the engineer left.
NedLudd
Grafter

My Fibre was working whilst the engineer was still there!  Smiley
He took great delight in demoeing the speed with BBC iPlayer and Top Gear!
The phone was dead from early morning (Sky cut it off) but was up and running about an hour or so after the engineer left.
Geoff,
York.
vimesuk
Grafter

Thanks for the replies - I could just about manage half an hour, but a full day  Cry
fingers crossed
shalom2010
Grafter

vimesuk - Just one point I failed to mention. If you do have to ring Plusnet make sure you have your security password available (that's the password you set when you signed up). On the call centre's
screens they don't have the actual password but their program generates at random three questions, e.g. what is the 2nd, 4th and 8th character of your password. Threw me when I rang Smiley !
Trevstan
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
My Fibre was working whilst the engineer was still there!  Smiley
He took great delight in demoeing the speed with BBC iPlayer and Top Gear!

Same as me was showing me how it doesn't buffer when moving the video forward  Cool
vimesuk
Grafter

Just got a txt to tell me that the router is in the post, looking good Smiley
Could anyone please tell me if a signature is required or will the postie just "post it" through the letter box....?

Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I get mine tomorrow, fingers crossed... wonder if I'll get a top gear fanatic too? Cheesy
@vimesuk I don't believe they're sent recorded, though it does need a fairly decent sized letter box to fit through or the postie might have to knock.
vimesuk
Grafter

Thanks for that - our postie seems to rise to a challenge as is able to cram the largest of parcels through our letter box, with a little "persuasion".
EDIT: Challenge met, the postie has delivered the router Smiley
kelvin
Grafter

Quote from: vimesuk
Just got a txt to tell me that the router is in the post, looking good Smiley
Could anyone please tell me if a signature is required or will the postie just "post it" through the letter box....?

Thanks.

Mine was delivered at the end of last week for my install on Monday (18th) and it was put through the letter box without a signature. My install went well and when the engineer left everything was up and running
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Had my fibre installed today, engineer checked it was working before he left.
Took about 30 minutes from the phone call that he was at the cabinet till it was up & running.
vimesuk
Grafter

Were your connections inline with your estimations that you had prior to the connection going live....?
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mine is only about 1 meg out on down load speed, didn't really pay attention to the upload speed when I tested it but its fast.
Ill let it settle for the 10 days plus I need to replace homeplugs with cat 5 cable as they are really slowing the connection down.
I get 70 meg if I connect in to the router directly with a cable but via homeplugs its down to 13 / 14 meg.