cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about DLM & BT IP Profile + Gateways!

shalom2010
Grafter

Confused about DLM & BT IP Profile + Gateways!

Hi
I have a few questions relating to Plusnet & BT IP Profiles.
I have noticed today a discussion about slow 'gateways' - I'm currently on ptn-ag02. My ping seemed quite high compared to normal so I used the disconnect on the router page of the 582n, which I read should not affect the BT IP profile. However it has, it dropped from 66.21 to 59.41! I switched off both the modem and router and after a minute switched the modem back on. It connected fine & I switched on the router.
1) Firstly when I tried to reconnect to Plusnet via the router page the network would not take my username & password. I left it an hour and then when I rebooted the PC it was connected again. Why is this so? (Is it due to having a dynamic IP?)
2) Does disconnecting the router from the router page affect DLM? (I did disconnect twice within a few minutes)?
3) Once reconnected, my BT IP Profile has gone up to 59.89. Someone on the PN forum said it can take 4 days to get back to the 66 I was on. Is this correct?
4) When the BT IP Profile does go up would I need to reboot the modem or does it re-synch itself?
5) How do you change the gateways you are connected to or is this done as the dynamic IP is reset?
I think this is the last time I'll play about!!
Many thanks for any replies
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Confused about DLM & BT IP Profile + Gateways!

I don't know the answers to 1 & 2 but the procedure will differ between those on copper with a single modem/router device and those on fibre with a modem plus a separate router.  What you are trying to do is change gateways without forcing a resync that will alter your download speeds.  In order to do this you need to disconnect from the "session".  On my modem/router for copper that's as easy as clicking the button saying "disconnect" then the button saying "connect".
If you resync (as you would if you powered down then up again) it is likely your line speed will change and your BT IP Profile will change immediately to match this.  You will also re-assigned a gateway and a dynamic IP.  Your Plusnet profile can take days to catch-up with your BT IP profile, so if that went up Plusnet will be throttling your speed unnecessarily until they catch-up.  But it's gone down from 66 to 60.  It won't go back up again until you manage to resync at a higher speed.   
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks. I had a simliar reply on the Think Broadband forum (http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4209010-plusnet-gateways-and-bt-ip-profiles.html).
What was odd is that I had no re-synth of the modem - all I did was disconnect the session as you said, but the profile dropped! Anyway I'll leave everything a few days and reboot the modem & router, during daylight hours.
shure
Grafter

I had a similar issue (I'm on 20CN ADSL), although mine was when I had interleaving turned off but the end result is the same.  I was on an IP profile of 6.5Mbps on Tuesday when I turned it off and reconnected the router (after moving from the test socket).  It stayed on 6.5Mbps until this morning, when it finally went back up to 7.15Mbps.  So you may have to wait 5 days Tongue
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks Shure. I think I've read that fibre works differently to ADSL. The modem will need a re-synch, so unless I get a dropped connection then I'll have to reboot it. The pain is the router took an hour to get back on the Plusnet network (my username & password would be accepted).