cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused By BT Speedtest Graphs - help appreciated...

SimonofHenley
Dabbler

Confused By BT Speedtest Graphs - help appreciated...

Hi All, apologies if this is total newbie question that has been answered hundreds of times.
I'm trying to troubleshoot a speed problem (based on the KB and forums), and I get very contradictory results from BT
#1: speedtester.bt.com: "Download speed achieved during the test was  0.21 Mbps. For your connection the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25Mbps"
#2: BT wholesale broadband availability checker: "Your exchange is ADSL enabled and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a  fixed line speed up to 2Mbps"
Any suggestions what's going on?
All help appreciated!
50 REPLIES 50
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Confused By BT Speedtest Graphs - help appreciated...

Hi, welcome to the forums.
Do you know which type of package you are on?  Is it an old fixed rate package or a newer up to 8Mb one?
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

If the user Anotherone offers his help, please accept it Wink
vultura
Rising Star

+1 to that, he seems to be very good with low speed issues.
Can you post up the current stats, etc as per this thread - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html.
dick:quote
SimonofHenley
Dabbler

Hmmm - again pardon my ignorance, but I don't think my package guarantees a line speed, just a data volume. At the moment I'm way below my volume threshold (12 GB of an allowed monthly 60GB). Does that answer the question? 
SimonofHenley
Dabbler

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As vultura suggested can you post all the information requested in this post: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
The BT speed test results will tell us what type of connection you have.

Posts crossed!
Can you do a reboot of your router and then post the connection information from your router again please.
It looks like your connection might be 'banded'.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just noticed that the router stats say your connection has only been up for 45 minutes. Is that down to you or are you getting problems with the router disconnecting?
Note that to get the best speeds you should leave the router permanently on - the exchange can see disconnections or you powering off the router as an unstable connection and it will slow it down to try and make it stable.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
I've just noticed that the router stats say your connection has only been up for 45 minutes. Is that down to you or are you getting problems with the router disconnecting

Thats a good question, had noticed that myself.
SimonofHenley
Dabbler

Router has only been up a short time, as I was trying to install a different one in line with PlusNet's online troublehshooting guide. Unfortunately that failed too (TP link wizard returned "unable to validate router" error ???)
Anyway, here's another screen grab of router info after router reboot...
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That pretty much confirms that your connection has been banded which is what the exchange does when the line appears to be very unstable.
If you haven't done so already you need to raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net/
Don't do anything else, just leave the router powered up and watch the up time to see if it does any disconnects on it's own. It's possible it may lift the banding automatically, if not Plusnet are going to want to see the line has been able to stay connected solidly for at least a full day before they will request the banding to be removed (in any case it's probable there won't be any Plusnet staff on these forums before Monday).
Is the phone line OK? Is there any background noise on the line (dial 17070 and take option 2 which is the quiet line test)?
SimonofHenley
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice, Jelv.... will do.
In fact the line *used* to be noisy, and I did suspect a physical line problem could be eroding line speed. I had BT come out who confirmed that the line was a vintage installation from many decades ago, and they did some rewiring that means it's now a clear strong line with no crackle.
Which is great for voice calls, but unfortunately hasn't fixed the DSL line speed issue.... anyway, I'll leave the router installed, and contact plusnet faults...
Cheers again all, and goodnight for today!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

How recently was that fixed? If it's within the last few days getting the banding removed should do the trick.
SimonofHenley
Dabbler

BT were here on Monday (i.e. almost a week ago). So hopefully you're right!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In that case rather than raise a fault, just request an SNR reset on here, otherwise you will be taken through the tedium of try another filter, router test socket etc etc. Don't do any more reboots/resyncs/Disconnects etc and leave the modem/router on 24/7 so over the next couple of days your line will hopefully be seen as completely stable with no drops.