Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused A Little...Again!

shalom2010
Grafter

Confused A Little...Again!

Hi,
I'd appreciate some clarification from people that have had fibre recently installed & of course comments from PlusNet.
I have had a reply to a ticket which said:
"I can now confirm that the order has been accepted and the appointment booked for 22/01/2013 between 8 AM and 1 PM.
Your Broadband can go active anytime up until midnight on the date of installation but all completions will defiantly be complete by midday the following day.
Please ensure that you are at the property during this period as the engineer will need access to install the fibre equipment. If the engineer cannot gain access, a missed appointment fee of £50 will be due.
When the engineer completes the work you may not experience fibre speeds straight away. This is because we need to manually adjust your speed profile when the order completes, so the change should be
effective within 48 hours. Please be patient with us whilst we do this for you."
My two questions are:
1) I presume the speed comment relates to DLM?
2) The most important question is, once the Open Reach person has installed the modem do they connect the router up for me, wait 15 minutes, then confirm all is okay? Or do they
just check the modem line speed and leave?
3) Do I really have to wait up to midnight for Plus Net to connect me to their system? I thought it took 15 minutes?! (Surely I don't have to wait for a telephone call from Plus Net?)
Many thanks for any feedback.
10 REPLIES 10
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Confused A Little...Again!

When I had my fibre installed the BTOR 'engineer' fitted the new faceplate, connected up the modem and tested line speed, then asked if I wanted him to connect up the router and wall mount both, which i declined but he waited while i connected it up, and the 15mins for the router to self setup and checked i could connect to the web before leaving
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks DaveyH - what was the speed like - from day one to now?
DaveyH
Champion

I get around 73 - 75 Mbps down and a consistent 16Mbps up, and been at those speeds since installation in mid november
shalom2010
Grafter

Excellent - Do you remember what the estimated speed was when you applied? (Mine was around 62Mbps)
DaveyH
Champion

75 +/- 1Mbps i think.
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks - any others wish to comment?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Had mine installed yesterday - OR tested the line and left me to connect the router later.  Broadband didn't work (wouldn't authenticate)  until I posted here and a Plusnet rep activated the service for me.
Estragon
Rising Star

It will be rare for an engineer to wait around for 15 minutes.  The poster above must have got one who was ahead of schedule, or supplied superb tea/coffee and biscuits.
There are standard installs and managed installs.  The managed install where the router is connected and everything seen to be OK costs the ISP quite a lot more from Openreach and the only one I know of doing them is BT Retail.
paul1962
Grafter

When I had my install the engineer connected the modem and router and connected his phone via wifi to prove it worked.
He showed me the sync speed and then waited while I checked I could connect ok both via wifi and lan.
My estimated speed was 78.
I sync at 80.
Test results from speedtest.net have always been around 73Mbs/17Mbs (down/up) and ping times of 4/5ms.  This has been consistent until today.  Ping times are now between 35ms and 70ms, speed results are approx 40Mbs/11Mbs.
Not sure why it's so bad today. Will have to see if it changes.
shalom2010
Grafter

Very interesting replies, so far. Seems like it's pot luck if you get someone who is really helpful, or others, that just follow the rules.
Question to pwatson - how did you post here if you had no Plusnet connection (or did the old ISP service still work????)