cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete loss of ISP service

massive
Dabbler

Complete loss of ISP service

Hi I'm looking to see if one of the Plusnet Help Team can check the logs on my connection.

I am currently away from my residence in another country and trying to remote access my equipment at home in the UK but my connection there appears to have gone down.

It would be useful to know what the connection logs are saying so I can get someone to visit the property and sort it out in my absence.

Regards

9 REPLIES 9
Jon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 3

Re: Complete loss of ISP service

Hi @massive 

I've looked into your connection and can see that it is randomly dropping in and out.

The line may have a fault as up until the 12th of March at around 15:43 the instability started.

Is there anything your end which could be causing this?

With the recent bad weather it could be a fault on the line though, so if nothing has changed, it would be worth getting it raised to us via http://faults.plus.net so our faults team can look into it further for you.

Many thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Jon Smith
 Plusnet Infrastructure Operations Professional
massive
Dabbler

@Jon From your logs can you tell any of the following:

1. If my login credentials are authenticating correctly

2. If you can ping/see my router

3. Any other information that may help me diagnose what may be happening

Just for reference I did get someone to visit the property and do the usual turn off and on the router to see if that resolved the problem (obviously it didn't)

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Whilst waiting for a member of staff to respond, there are a some things we can deduce from what's been said and some questions.

To answer question 1, I would have thought your credentials are authenticating correctly, as that is most likely what @Jon is seeing in the radius logs to see the line instability.

For question 2, a couple of questions to you.  Do you have a static or dynamic IP address? and does your router respond to pings?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

massive
Dabbler

It's using a dynamic IP, for which I use two different DDNS services (one with the router and one with a NAS on Network) so I always have a way of getting to the router remotely. Currently both are showing offline unsurprisingly so I have no way of pinging the router remotely.
Jon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi @massive 

Sorry for the delay, I was off shift.

1. If my login credentials are authenticating correctly

Your connection is authenticating. It seems to stop online for around 2 minutes, then drops out. 

2. If you can ping/see my router

The router isn't online at the moment so it's not possible to see it. 

3. Any other information that may help me diagnose what may be happening

I will attach a graph of your connection. It is very intermittent, so it would lead me to believe there is indeed a fault. Being away from the connection though, it's hard to diagnose. Is there anybody at home who could check it?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Jon Smith
massive
Dabbler

@Jon
Thanks for the info. I can get someone to go have a look. What do you recommend they do other than turn off and on the router?

Regards
Jon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hiya @massive 

Ideally they would need to follow the fault troubleshooter at faults.plus.net

What we would normally advise is trying wiring the router directly into the master (test) socket as per:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

I would also advise to test with an alternative micro filter if possible, as these can develop faults which can cause this exact type of issue.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Guide-To-Fitting-Microfilters/ba-p/1322250

Many thanks Smiley

Jon Smith
massive
Dabbler

@Jon 

Well all appears to be back to normal now, even though I'm not totally sure why...

I had my brother visit the house and we went through a whole load of trouble shooting steps

1. We checked the phone line had a good dial tone with no noise (line was good and had a clear tone connected to the master socket, with the faceplate and then with the microfilter)

2. Then we tried another (known working) microfilter that my brother had borrowed from his home internet connection (this made no difference to obtaining an internet connection - we also left the router off for 5 mins between swaps, to make sure the connection was fully dropped)

3. We checked the broadband connection settings (they were fine too)

4. We then went back to the original plusnet router and tried it with both microfilters and this was able to obtain a steady connection on both.

5. We then swapped back to the ASUS DSL router I had been using without issue for the last 6 months with my microfilter and it was able to pick up the connection fine and has been holding steady for the last 12 hours, so my remote connections have been restored for now.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @massive,

Thanks for the update - I'm glad that this is looking better.

I've checked the connection and it's still holding steady at around 17 hours now. Whatever was interfering with the connection appears to have subsided for now (and hopefully for good).

Keep an eye on things and let us know if there's anything else you need.

Best wishes

Dave