Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete loss of ISP service

FIXED
rahbarnes
Hooked

Complete loss of ISP service

Since yesterday, I have had not access to the internet: the connection is fine but only goes to a "PlusNet Hub One" page.  No website is available.  My home page (Google) opened, but it is a cached page.  Anything after that just produces an error message or the "PlusNet Hub One" page. Another thing that appears is "Can't connect securely to this page".

The web came back briefly on two occasions, for a few seconds, then went to "PlusNet Hub One".

I telephoned the Status Line, which did an introductory spiel then hung itself up with no messages.  On one of the occasions the web came back I found PlusNat's status line: it said 'no known issues".  I do not believe that for a minute.

I telephoned PlusNet - no reply just half an hour of call waiting befo9re I had to hang up each time.  (I am on the line now too, at 15 minutes and waiting, about to hang up.  The auto message said 5 minutes.)

Can I have my internet back, please?

9 REPLIES 9
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Complete loss of ISP service

Maybe you have but if not try switching the hub off for 5 mins to see if that clears the problem

rahbarnes
Hooked

Hmm... I'm not at home at the moment (well, I'd not be able to connect if I were) but will ask my wife to try that when she gets back.

I had assumed that it would be a PlusNet problem as it does connect straight to PlusNet, but just goes no further.  I also assumed that there was a mass outage because your helpdesk was apparently overwhelmed.  For e-mails, incidentally, they start to come in, then a "could not connect" message comes up and no more arrive.  If this effect can be caused locally, then I'll try 'Roy's solution' and turn it off and on again.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@rahbarnes

The helpdesk phone line and Chat lines have been overwhelmed for months. Nothing to do with a mass outrage.

Just too many customers and insufficient staff to deal with the issues.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
rahbarnes
Hooked

Switched off.  Waited five minutes.  Exactly the same.  My son has tried it out.  First it says "cannot securely connect to this site".  Then if you really persist it puts up the PlusNet Hub page.

Basically, good connection but no internet.

rahbarnes
Hooked

No service and no helpdesk - that's another lost customer.

When PlusNet are down to one customer then maybe the tech assistance man, sitting alone in a basement in Barnsley or Bangalore, will answer the telephone, if only to assuage his loneliness.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have you tried a different search engine.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Fix

From the sound of things your router isn't attempting to connect on the right username/password.

Factory resetting the router should force it to pull down the correct authentication details again, there's a pinsize hole on the rear, hold a paperclip in there for 30 seconds.

Alternatively if that doesn't work, you can manually update the connection username and password.

Once you've logged in to the router, go to the 'Settings' link from the menu. You may be asked to re-enter the router admin password here, this can be found on the card we sent with the router. Within the settings menu there is an option to enter your broadband username and password, click this link and then when asked for it, enter your username in the format YOURUSERNAME@plusdsl.net - the password box is just your normal Plusnet password.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rahbarnes
Hooked

My in-house IT expert had a technical solution:  he unbent a paperclip and jabbed it in the back of the router. It seemed to work. (What we'll do when he grows up and goes to secondary school I don't know.)

Still, the lack of a helpline is unforgivable.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing connection problems, but I'm glad that it's all sorted now.

I telephoned the Status Line, which did an introductory spiel then hung itself up with no messages.  On one of the occasions the web came back I found PlusNat's status line: it said 'no known issues".  I do not believe that for a minute.

Mind sending me a PM with the telephone number you used to call?

Our advertised number for customer services/technical support is 0800 432 0200 and I can assure you we're here 7:30am to 10pm every day, including supporting via live chat, Facebook, Twitter, and here on our Community Forums.

I do sincerely apologise though for the wait times it can take to contact us from time to time.

We're aware of this and continually taking steps to bring the queues down.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet