cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complaint

jjaycee1
Grafter

Complaint

Every time my sync speed is raised via DLM I have to contact PN and ask them to raise my IP profile to match that which is shown via the BT Wholesale speedtest.  This is supposed to be automatically done is it not? This morning my I checked my Profile via the BT Speedtest as I am currently on a 2912 sync speed and it showed my BT Profile as 2.5. Checked my PN profile and it was 2. When i phoned PN the tech who answered my call was extremely abrupt from the outset. He answered my call with "User name?", "second and last letters of your password?" "What do you need?".

Not a very friendly or courteous intro, and not what I normally receive from PN.

We then had a 5 minute arguement when I asked him to kindly raise my PN set profile to match the BT profile. He argued that my speed was greater than it should be and that my Profile was correct for the line. I explained that a connection speed of 2912kbps warrants a Profile of 2.5 and i would like it raised please. He then argued that this could not be done and he said he didn't understand what I was asking him to do. I explained yet again, and he then spoke to someone else. He cam e back and repeated I was on the right profile for my line and i was getting a better speed than estimated. I repeated that i knew all that but just wanted my Profile raised to 2.5 to match BT's given profile. He eventually relented and raised it. I have always had no problem before when requesting this action. The higher speed may not last, I know that, but while it is available I want my download speeds to increase accordingly. If and when it reverts back to a lower sync speed via DLM my drop in Profile is instant, but when I get a higher sync speed nothing happens.

I fully understand my line is supposedly performing better than estimated. Lucky me temporarily! However why is my profile never increased automatically when my sync speed is raised by DLM to above a 2mb?

24 REPLIES 24
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Complaint

I'm really sorry to hear of the way that call was handled. I'll certainly be passing feedback on regarding the advisor you spoke to.

In regards to why the IP profile never updates automatically. It does. However on 20CN, unfortunately the delta reports responsible for this do not come through to us anywhere near as quick as they do on 21CN Undecided

Looking back over the speed change history, I can see it has updated automatically in the past:

Provisioned Provided  
Date BT Product Speed Contention Speed Profile Event
2016-05-26 11:23:39 BT IPStream Max Home Self-Install 8000 50:1 3000 Generic Speed 3000 No Time Out Manual Change
2016-05-14 06:08:20 BT IPStream Max Home Self-Install 8000 50:1 2000 Generic Speed 2000 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2016-05-04 06:10:48 BT IPStream Max Home Self-Install 8000 50:1 2500 Generic Speed 2500 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2016-04-27 04:44:08 BT IPStream Max Home Self-Install 8000 50:1 2000 Generic Speed 2000 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2016-04-25 17:22:02 BT IPStream Max Home Self-Install 8000 50:1 2500 Generic Speed 2500 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2016-04-25 13:31:26 BT IPStream Max Home Self-Install 8000 50:1 3000 Generic Speed 3000 No Time Out Manual Change
2016-03-26 00:40:03 BT IPStream Max Home Self-Install 8000 50:1 2000 Generic Speed 2000 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2016-03-09 20:17:04 BT IPStream Max Home Self-Install 8000 50:1 2500 Generic Speed 2500 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jjaycee1
Grafter

I agree with you but looking at the reports you submitted above shows me that the automatic updates pertain to a lowering of the Profile to sync with the lowering of the speed. The 2 manual updates pertain to when the speeds have increased and i have had to ask for a Profile to be raised accordingly. I understand the probable delay in the BT report getting to PN but it looks like the reports get to PN pretty quick when the Profile needs to be downgraded but nothing happens at the same time my speed increases, hence the need for a manual change request.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately we don't have control over when our suppliers send us the delta reports. As much as I do understand where you're coming from with this, the update on 04/05/16 changed the profile from 2000 to 2500 off the back of a delta report, so it isn't solely knocking the speed down.

I wouldn't say there is particularly a need for a manual change to get the profile bumped up, however it just may not be as quick when waiting for the delta reports.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jjaycee1
Grafter

Again I agree with you but the increase to 2500 did not warrant a Profile upgrade as it remained within the range of a 2mb profile:

2272 kbps to 2816kbps Up to 2 Mbps

My point is based on this fact:

2848 kbps to 3392 kbps Up to 2.5 Mbps

jjaycee1
Grafter

I just want to add that I have all my connection speeds for every day for the last year or so stored via DSLStats Your report shows my  speed on 27 April as 2000 @ very early morning but by the time i fired up my speed was as shown in the attachment.

Attached are my speeds on 26 April and 27 April. Any sync speed for

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quick down and slow up has always been the characteristic of CN20 and arguably there is good logic for this.

Quick down ensures that data is not transmitted on to the line faster than it can handle.  That reduces packet loss.

Slow up is intended to ensure that the line can / will remain stable at the higher line speed.  IIRC 20CN typically takes 3-5 days (certainly used) to raise the profile automatically.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Not sure I agree with the justification for the "slow up" part,  if the line didn't remain stable at the higher speed then presumably it would drop and the slower profile applied immediately.   Actually the fact that it's quicker on 21CN and FTTC seems to support that view.   However I guess that's by the by because the problem the OP was discussing was failure of Plusnet to match the profile after DLM had (finally) reinstated the BT IP profile.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@aesmith wrote:

because the problem the OP was discussing was failure of Plusnet to match the profile after DLM had (finally) reinstated the BT IP profile.

That's not quite right. As per my initial response, it's because of the time it can take for the delta reports to come through to us to prompt our system to change the profile.

@HarryB wrote:
In regards to why the IP profile never updates automatically. It does. However on 20CN, unfortunately the delta reports responsible for this do not come through to us anywhere near as quick as they do on 21CN

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@jjaycee1

How long do you wait for the profile to increase (or not) automatically?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Remember that on a 20CN line profile changes take between a few hours and 5 days (IIRC) to come through. Generally it's around 3 days for most changes on 20CN, whereas on 21CN the profile changes are straight away.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Thanks for inputs. To answer some of the points:

1. On a day I notice my speed increase which would warrant an IP Profile increase I wait for about 36 hrs and then run a BT Speedtest, as this is the only facility I know that allows me to see my Profile setting. On day 1 of the ssync spedd increase I wiil run the speedtest and see that the profile has not changed. On the 2-3rd day or after about 36 hrs i will run the speedtest again and if the Profile has increased by BT I would be expecting my Profile to match at PNet. 

This is where the problem occurs. PN does not, generally, update my Profile accordingly unless i contact them and ask for it to be changed their end to match the profile given by BT.

In the most recent incident, on which this post is based, I was constantly being told by the PN rep that my line was only a 2meg line and that therefore my 2mb Profile with PN was correct and could not be changed.Being told that my line was albeit "over performing" speed wise is obvious to all. What I want though is to be able to enjoy the over performance however brief it may be. The reason is I need to do a fair bit of downloading each day, and if i remain on a 2mb profile when i should be on a 2.5mb profile, there is a difference of over 60kbps  in my download speed. This is significant to someone on a low threshold/speed line like myself.

Again my point is, that as the Customer, my requests should be met. I don't care if PN cannot state that my line "could" not be stable if my Profile was increased to beyond what  they see as a 2meg line. You might as well say that PN could place me on a 1meg profile and I would never  have any problems ever.

What i want is for my profile to be raised when it is warranted and deemed OK by BT, who are the one's that give the Profile rating. PN need to comply with that profile rating and not worry about what the line capability info is in their records. The line is capable of doing what BT states it IS doing.

I have not had problems before in requesting the profile increase with most PN reps when i call them. But to be told that my request is impossible is just completely wrong. It IS possible and needs to be automatically done. I have been told in the past that the PN profile setting is a fixed setting, and the rep wondered why it had been "fixed" at that level.

I can only report what i am told by the PN rep at the time of each call.

I am only talking here of either a 2mb profile or a 2.5 mb profile. It will not go beyond 2.5 mb ( at least not for the 36hr period required for a Profile increase.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Perhaps what I should have asked was how long do you wait for your Plusnet profile to update automatically - usually it takes a day or two after the BT profile changes.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

For clarity (and agreement) how long it takes for an automatic update is one thing - it can take more time than might be expected on 20CN, sometimes PN simply does not get the delta data. However the response from the CSA on the occasion of a request to match the BT profile update is something quite different. The ESTIMATE for a line is just that, often it's a bit better, sometimes it's a bit worse. Generally estimates are pessimistic.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jjaycee1
Grafter

I now understand that PN may on occasions receive the delta data later than I would like. However, because i have done the BT speedtest and can see the Profile setting raised I would, as a customer, expect PN to comply without argument, to my request. I always explain that my request is based on the BT Speedtest result performed just prior to the phonecall. 

I again understand that PN can no way run BT tests to see if my Profile is upgraded and rely on the Delta Data report.

I don't make the requests often and I don't make them without justification. All I want is PN to do what I ask when i ask them. Normally they do. They check my current line speed and confirm to me that they agree my linespeed corresponds to a higher profile rating and act accordingly. This post was about being brushed off with comments by someone who at first didn't know what an IP Profile was and didn't understand what I wanted them to do, and then when he understood finally, told e that my request was not going to be acted on because my line was a 2mb line and that was and an end to it.

Anyway this is drifting on too long now. i have made my complaint informally here in the forum. 

There will be a next time, and I am hoping that my request will just be adhered to and not met with some scripted waffle.