cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Site Ranks - and how to get one!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Community Site Ranks - and how to get one!

Looking back at the old forums I wonder if it is the addition of the 5 stars which have drawn peoples attention to it.
It does seem a bit over the top 
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd agree - why should there be any icon when the moderators don't have one?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LiamM
Grafter

Should be able to turn off the stars easily in the admin panel, though.  Just set number of stars to 0.
barquerole
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Plus the fact it was the community that actually asked for such things many moons ago.

Actually, it was fa55 who expounded the idea last year on behalf of the moderators.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: barquerole
[Actually, it was fa55 who expounded the idea last year on behalf of the moderators.

Err... No it wasn't last year: Linky
barquerole
Grafter

Okay, nit pick for the sake of 2 months. But it certainly wasn't "many moons ago" or "asked for by the community" as FA55 himself admits in this thread
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I wasn't nit picking, I was surprised to find it was getting on for two years.
22 months without objections to the scheme is a long time!
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: jell
If people feel this way, why has it taken the move from portal to community forums for people to express their views? Huh

Maybe it is because just about every other post on this forum appears to be by someone with a fancy title, and the rest of us ordinary customers are overwhelmed by so called experts.
barquerole
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
22 months without objections to the scheme is a long time!

The whole reason this thread started was the proposal to extend this scheme of self-gratification. That's why it's been highlighted.
zubel
Community Veteran

Keep Bright Sparks.
B.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Barry
Keep Bright Sparks.
B.

As per ongoing discussions on "Bright Sparks ranking - should this be retained" I have made the request that we lose the word "rank" for this award/accolade.
If it's (simply) a token of the esteem in which a poster is held by the rest of the community, then:
(a) the word "rank" needs to be changed to something else
(b) the 'Bright Spark' name itself, as Pendragon proposed further down that thread, could also be changed.
jelv has now amended the Bright Sparks thread/poll to include the latter option;  however I am requesting here, separately, that the word "rank" be lost altogether from the title of this thread about "Community Site Ranks" (and the definitions in its first post) and replaced with something more suitable.
Actually it seems, on consideration, that "Community Site Ranks - and how to get one!" is perhaps an unsuitable title for this thread at all.
"Community Site - who's who" might be better -
with just "Moderators", "Bright Sparks" (or whatever is chosen to replace that), "UserGroup members", "Legends" and whatever else, defined with a loss of all references to "ranking".
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

"how to get one" is a most unfortunate phrase. "How they are awarded" would have been acceptable - but I'd go with Penny's suggestion.
barquerole
Grafter

Quote from: PJ

I don't feel it's unreasonable to give recognition to those members who spend literally hours of their time helping other users for free.

I thought the concept was so that new users could identify those who could help, rather than a recognition - or should I say reward - system for spending time on a forum.
fa55
Community Veteran

Is there really such a need for nit picking the post in this much detail? I didn't realise these forums had turned into the ADSL Guide ones.
James' post was clearly to help people understand the rank / award / reward / term / whatever you want to call it without offending someone, if people, whoever they are get nitpicked everytime they post anything with an aim to help people then there is no point in posting.
barquerole
Grafter

Well, seeing as the opening post invites people to discuss its content, it's not unnatural that people do just that. I don't follow the logic of the comparison between here and ADSL Guide simply because people have differing view within the thread.
No-one has insulted anyone else here and everyone has their own point of view which so far as I can see, has been put across in reasoned, constructive and sometimes humorous manner.