cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Site Ranks - and how to get one!

Not applicable

Community Site Ranks - and how to get one!

As we appear to be settling into our new home reasonably well, we (the moderating team) thought it would be an apt time to run through a few different aspects of day-to-day forum life!
All the things I'm going to talk about today revolve around special ranks here on the Community Site. The colours highlighted as titles for each rank are the colours used to highlight who is online at any time.
Bright Sparks
This is an award from your peers. Its designed to recognise those who frequently go the extra mile to make this resource useful.
It's not necessarily intended to go to the most knowledgeable folks here, although it generally does.
If you've spotted somebody you think is worthy of the rank, let one of the moderating team know via PM (Personal Message) and your recommendation will be considered.
Further detail on Bright Sparks is available here
Legend
This is similar to the Bright Spark rank, but is used to recognise the huge amount of time and effort a user has devoted to making these forums a place to be proud to be a part of.
Currently there is only one contributor with this rank - keep your eye out for any more that may be added in the future!

UserGroup Member
The PlusNet UserGroup (PUG) is an independent group of users from PlusNet, Free-Online, MetroNet and Force9 using the whole range of products and services with a diverse and varied degree of knowledge and expertise.
The group was conceived in April 2004 with the aim of being an officially recognised group of individuals working with each other and with PlusNet to ensure that the products, services, support and facilities are the best we could ask for.
Members are currently selected following a nomination and public vote process periodically - not being a member doesn't prevent you from taking a part in shaping the direction of PN products and services, on a day-to-day basis though.
We have active forums over there too, for contribution and discussion of a wide range of topics.
The UserGroup rank doesn't confer any priveledges here either - its just a recognition of the hard work put in by the holder in shaping the future of PN's ISP brands.
Administrator
These are rarely seen creatures - many staff at PN have admin priveledges, but their staff rank overrides the administrator rank, thus they appear in blue.
PlusNet Staff
The only people who are paid to be here - they can see lots about your account that nobody else can see, and they have all the resources and responsibilities you'd expect from a support agent, and more.
Each has their own speciality, and they display their job title in their rank.
Some are just special, and some are extra special - take some time to say hi to them, they really do know their stuff!
Forum Moderator
And finally, folks like me!
We don't get paid for helping out here. We can't see any account info or ticket status.
Our role is to help keep things on topic (although we're only human, we go off topic as much as anybody), make sure that somebody doesn't post something you wouldn't want the kids to see, and generally help folks out with formatting tags and the like, so posts are easily readable.
We are responsible for enforcing the [Forum Rules] where needed, but intervention is rarely needed.

Well, now you know what each role means, it brings me to the next point.
We currently have 7 moderators here, which is more than enough when we are all available.
Inevitably as volunteers we can't all be available around the clock, so we've been planning to press-gang recruit another Moderator into the fold, to help ease the workload a little.
In days gone by on the PN forums, we've run elections to establish who the community would like to see moderating their forums.
We plan to do this again shortly, the rules and dates pertaining to the process are posted below.
cp:green number of moderators updated. mod:end
64 REPLIES 64
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Community Site Ranks - and how to get one!

How do I become a ledgendary usergroup bright spark moderator please Wink
Perhaps you should have locked this now  Tongue
James
Grafter

Maybe when you reach 10,000 posts Wink
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

That will be in a few days time then when Colin adds all my old posts in Wink
itsme
Grafter

James, believe you missed out the most important rank and that's is member without whom this forum would not exist.
God
Grafter

itsme.. Dont worry we are all potential rankers  Roll_eyes
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

All this ranking business is damn daft if you ask me. Next thing will be the issuing of stripes and pips.
Quote from: itsme
James, believe you missed out the most important rank and that's is member without whom this forum would not exist.
Will
Grafter

I think a little recognition for devoting your own time to help users for free isn't exactly a bad idea.....jeez....no pleasing some people.....or perhaps your just jealous that you dont have one....
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: PJ

I believe that the ranking system should be a reward for all those members who go out of their way to help each other, awarded by members, to members, for members.

Hmm, well of course you would say that .
I believe that it looks like a club within a club, while identification of staff, moderators and administrators is necessary I agree with the comments made by glloyd and giving certain people special titles ranks of cronyism and is completely unnecessary.
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
1  I was nominated by one or more

2  Like many other users I spend an average of at least one working day a week reading and responding to the forums 
3  Regular forum members receive no reward for this time given beyond the "Thank You" of users where their efforts have helped to resolve the problem reported.

4  If you disagree and feel that ranking should be removed altogether, I'd be interested in hearing your reasons why.

1  Hardly a broad spectrum of users
2  That is your choice.
3  Precisely that is all I would ask for, therefore why are extra titles necessary.

4  I see no reason as a PlusNet customer of several years why some people need extra titles unless it boosts their ego. Someone that is a forum bright spark to one person could be a pain in the butt to another, when I come on this forum for information I have no wish to see whether the person answering is a bright spark, a member of pug or a legend, as far as I am concerned we are all equally customers and some should not be more equal than others.
This is not a personal attack on yourself, just my opinions and the opinions of others on some other forums that have asked questions about these titles.
God
Grafter

What a load of old tosh it is to have people complaining that folks are being recognised and appreciated for offering their help.
PS: I don't know any of the moderators or bright sparks so am not involved in any cronyism that will help them reap massive undisclosed rewards for flogging their keyboards all day to help out ungrateful conspiracy theorists.
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: God
What a load of old tosh

Well I could call your opinions a load of old tosh, but I won't as I believe even God has a right to his opinions. Roll_eyes
God
Grafter

I agree, everyone has a right to an opinion and others have a right to think that opinion is tosh Grin
Peace be with you Hobo.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm totally baffled as to why we suddenly have criticism of the rank of Bright Spark when it's been given to the same people who had that rank on the portal forums. I can't remember any similar comments being made on the portal forums, so why now?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zubel
Community Veteran

To be honest, the "Bright Spark" rank shows that generally the person knows what they're talking about, and this can reflect forward onto any advice they are giving.
So, the recipient of such advice will immediately know that the source of the information is likely to be well informed.
Storm in a teacup, personally.  Lets cronyise away! Tongue
B.