cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comms:-Another inadequate response to ticket, and to the back of the queue again

tonycollinet
Grafter

Comms:-Another inadequate response to ticket, and to the back of the queue again

Ticket number 79985892
My answer below. All I am asking for is for an SNR reset to be initiated that actually does somthing (Bear in mind the first was OFFERED as a suggestion by the comms team) - even if it tries and then reverts back to 9DB - but it has to TRY. Or some sort of analysis as to why it is doing nothing.
This is not the level of support I got used to last time I was with plusnet, and won't encourage me to stay when my cabinet is fibre enabled in a few months time.

I'm sorry - but this is not good enough. I have twice been promised SNR Resets. These did nothing both times (I know they did nothing, - becasue in order for a reset to do somthing IT MUST FIRST REDUCE the target SNR, otherwise the system has no way of knowing if stability is acceptable at the lower target)
This did not happen either time.
I've had a rock solid stable connection for 3+ years at 3db. My line is still rock solid (The disconnects you see are a result of me experimenting with router settings, and test socket over the weekend, after the latest "training period" was supposed to be finished)
All I am asking for is for the target SNR to be PROPERLY reset, and a proper retraining period to follow.
Please!
21 REPLIES 21
pj2014
Grafter

Re: Comms:-Another inadequate response to ticket, and to the back of the queue again

Hi TonyAtplus,
I hope you get a solution to your issue soon.
Regarding the 'response to ticket' 'back of the queue' situation I totally understand. I had reason to contact the faults team via the ticketing system over the last few weeks and their response made me chuckle. Its as if they didn't bother to read what information I had given within the message + sent a response which was not relevant + didn't answer my query. And yes I'm back down the end of the queue again!
Granted, my query wasn't mega urgent (compared to some faults we read on these boards) but when response times are what they currently are, a 'non/irrelevant' reply after waiting 5 odd days is not helpful.
Good luck!
PJ
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Comms:-Another inadequate response to ticket, and to the back of the queue again

Hi Tony,
Just checked and your target SNR dropped from 6dB to 3dB on the 16th January this year, I suspect that was soon after Chris did the first SNR reset? Your target SNR has been at 3dB since then, not sure why it's settling at 9dB on your router yet still reporting a target of 3.
We can try another if you wish, though I very much doubt it'll have any effect?
englishrick
Grafter

wont have any effect on the RUBBISH we are getting anyhow Tony......... until they sort out the exchange or whatever the problem is
tonycollinet
Grafter

That's very odd. Is it the profile I am on? Hang on....
Just done a BTW diagnostics
Download speedachieved during the test was - 13.69 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 13.54 Mbps

Looks like it is an IP Profile setting problem? How do we get that sorted?
Or is the IP Profile set there because that is the connection speed I am getting (Rather than the other way round?)

TIME PASSES
OK - tried a different router (netgear 834dg) to be certian it wasn't my router playing up. That connected at the same speed and SNR. Now I've changed back , and these are the new line stats.
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 677
Lan Rx : 496
ADSL Tx : 322
ADSL Rx : 232
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 0
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 0
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 5.8
SNR Down : 9.4
Line Attenuation Up : 9.6
Line Attenuation Down : 15.0
Data Rate Up : 1050
Data Rate Down : 15349

Updated BTW diagnostics
Download spee dachieved during the test was - 11.05 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 13.54 Mbps
tonycollinet
Grafter

Another thought - is this anything to do with the capacity problems on Alsager exchange? Have BT just put us all on a reduced profile to reduce demand? Since the whole problem started about a week after the packet loss based evening speed reductions

I'm going to put it to you (plusnet) that since two different routers both sync with a 9db SNR, that regardless of what your system is telling you, that is what it is set at at the exchange.  Wink
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Really not sure what's causing it to stay at 9, it looks (given the profiles are correct and showing the 3dB target SNR on both tests we can run) like something is stopping it from reaching that target and keeping it at 9dB. Only trouble with that is, the attenuation looks way too low for there to be any sort of interference or noise on the line.
Guessing the router's already in the test socket? Also, apologies for the daft question but it needs to be asked just in case, there's no settings in either of the routers that would force a different SNR?
tonycollinet
Grafter

Hi
I'm not sure what is going on either. Both routers were running fine on  a 3db profile previously. I've tried the original router in the test socket with no change. Last night, the only changes I made on the second router was to put in correct configuration for plusnet (last time it was used, I was with BE)
You say the profiles are correct - yet the speed profile is 15kb/s. On a 3db profile, I'd be more like 19kb/s (and was previously)
Even more strangely - my main router (ASUS DSL-N55U) has a facility to adjust the SNR in the router called "stability adjustment". Previously this worked, now it has no effect.
Is it possible the packet loss I am getting as a result of Alsager exchange congestion (see thread "Speed Problem yet AGAIN" by Englishrick) is being interpreted by the exchange kit as a line problem, causing it to keep speeds lower? The only reason I think this is relevant, is everything was fine, then the exchange got conjested resulting in peak time slowdowns, THEN I went onto this locked 9db profile.
tonycollinet
Grafter

I have one of the Plusnet supplied routers still in the box as supplied. Is it worth trying that?

PS - Did you do anything at about 9:40 - looking at my think broadband ping chart, it looks like my connection was reset then.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Worth a go, not sure it'll make a difference but fingers crossed Smiley
tonycollinet
Grafter

Oops - cross post, or at least cross post/post mod.
Can you see my PS above - Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, I did run a test on the line to confirm the profile shown on Actuate was correct. As that had to be a full KBD test it'll unfortunately have started a new session, sorry about that.
tonycollinet
Grafter

No problem at all - just wan't to check it wasn't a random drop. Will get back later with results of checking with the plusnet router.
OK - so this is interesting - plusnet router - 3db and 19.883 connection - what the heck is going on.:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:13:35
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.078 / 19.883
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1,34 / 4,06
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 21,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8,5 / 16,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,9 / 2,9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 17 / 1.450.968
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 28 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 24 / 0
tonycollinet
Grafter

OK - here is what I found out this morning.
Watching the router stats while connecting. As soon as the connection was up, the SNR down was 3db - then when the session was established (logged on) it switched to 9db. There was quite a significant time between the two events, so I could see it clearly (multiple refreshes of the stats)

Does this tell us anything?

EDIT - no, just tried changing the user name so it couldn't log on, and then restarted. I got one very short refresh at 3db and then back to 9+. Looks like the initial connection is at 3db, but then it quickly changes to 9.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, if that's the same with all three routers (I've no reason to doubt it given what you've posted above) then there must be something crazy going on somewhere - and it has to be on the kit at the cabinet or exchange. I'll ask about in our faults team and see if anyone's come across this before.
EDIT: I can see the response to the ticket advises you to raise a fault, I'd advise the same thing - we need to get an engineer out to run a pair quality test, likelihood is that that will fail (and may well be what's causing the rise in SNR) in which case it'll get fixed from there. If you could run through http://faults.plus.net and raise a speed fault we'll get on that for you.