cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming up to one week at 28k. WHY can't the IP profile be given a nudge?!

racquel
Grafter

Re: Coming up to one week at 28k. WHY can't the IP profile be given a nudge?!

Here we are, 8 days later, and it was all going so well! I'm going to update the ticket with roughly the same info as I've put in this post, but I thought you and others might be interested in the following.
This is the output from MyBroadbandSpeed over the last month or so:

Now, I know the reliability of that site is under question, so I've also been doing the "official" BT Speedtests.
I also have a weather station outside the house, which collects daily average temperatures, amongst other things. Right at the start of the ticket, I said I felt sure it was weather and temperature related.
They found and fixed 4 bad physical line faults over 2 visits, and although it went alright for a while, it's now slow again.
Just so we all know I'm not imagining it, I pasted in my weather station data, made a Google spreadsheet to table-ize my BT Speedtest results, and this is it;

Interesting, eh? (Well, that's relative!).
Here's the original spreadsheet with the raw data and larger interactive versions of the charts so you can click onto each day and see things more clearly.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmkhuHmI5mk1dHpMNE13WWxobGo0dWFtMWMxSnFSRWc#gid=5
NOTE: I've just noticed if you look at the charts in the spreadsheet on a laptop or monitor smaller than 1680x1050, the size when I generated the chart, then it'll spill off the edge of the screen. Annoying. Just zoom out (CTRL+- or CTRL+mousewheel) to see the whole chart. Any ideas how to fix this?
Whaddya think?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Whaddya think?

Immensely thorough, which is appreciated.
I'm glad to see that the situation has improved for you over the past week or so.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Huh  Huh
Quote from: racquel
Here we are, 8 days later, and it was all going so well! I'm going to update the ticket with roughly the same info as I've put in this post, but I thought you and others might be interested in the following.........

DSL Down connection rate going from 4Mbps to under 2 doesn't look like an improving situation to me  Lips_are_sealed
racquel
Grafter

Yeah, I was thinking the same! Halving of speed doesn't suggest an improvement!
Here's a BT Speedtest just now:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.4 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.76 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1.5 Mbps
And here's ...
jim:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Raquel, don't you reckon some people need to go to Specsavers  Roll_eyes
(On that note, it won't include the mods - they'll be along to tell you about not fully quoting a immediately preceding post  Huh )
Do you leave your modem,/router on 24/7 ?
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Do you leave your modem,/router on 24/7 ?
Yup. And plugged into the master socket, not connected to extension, same as it was before the first fault, during the "good" time, and now.
The only thing that's changed is the weather, and as you can see from the graph, cold, wet and windy = slow.
Anotherone
Champion

I reckon your phone line goes intermittent as the copper contracts - I suppose you have listened for crackling noises on your phone? Woops, just re-read the thread. Did you report a phone fault when your line was crackling or a broadband fault? Who do you pay the line rental to?
2nd Edit: Is the line crackling again now (all be it intermittent perhaps)?
racquel
Grafter

Reported as phone fault, initially crackling so bad you could hardly hear, crackling now gone after 4 faults found. Line rental paid to Plusnet, but BT line as in market 1(?) no competition not unbundled area.
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
Anotherone
Champion

It wouldn't matter if it were market 2 or 3, it's still BT OpenReach that look after the line.
Well Plusnet need to get OpenReach back out to check your line more thoroughly and fix it properly this time!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Here we are, 8 days later, and it was all going so well!

Fair play Anotherone, that could be interpreted one of two ways IMO, I've re-read that with a negative inflection in mind and can see what you mean.
@racquel I've given the person who has full ownership of your fault a nudge so they should be responding ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
racquel
Grafter

To be fair to Plusnet, they've assigned someone to watch over this; last time we spoke was a week ago after the latest fixes and they said they'd call in a week (ie: today) to see how it was going.
So I'll have the opportunity to explain Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

It was what happened on the chart since the 14th that was the real give away Adam.
BTW, you must live at the North Pole racquel, with average daytime temperature -4°C at the end of April  Shocked
I've no idea about the Google docs chart size issue. I'll ask someone.
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
BTW, you must live at the North Pole racquel, with average daytime temperature -4°C at the end of April   Shocked
Almost .. Wales actually! It's ridiculous up here at around 350m; we had a small snow flurry two mornings ago, we're still in danger of frosts until end of May here, the growing season is roughly one month behind and two months shorter, and the temperature is 2-3 degrees lower than the valley below. Lots of lovely sturdy and rugged sheep to look at, though ....
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, Welsh lamb chops, lovely. (woops, gonna get told off by Oldjim for goping off-topic).
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It does definitely look like the weather has affected things, I can see the speed dropped on the 15th which would coincide with the snow. I'll nudge the agent looking after your ticket and make sure this is pushed forward for you.