cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming soon to a website near you...

artificer
Grafter

Re: Coming soon to a website near you...

it took me aback a little, the purple font for topic titles, but i can't get used to the atrocious shade of blue used for quotes.  it clashes abominally with the overall theme.
would it be possible to have a choice of themes as it is on other forums?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I didn't find anything wrong with the original colours but the changes made are also acceptable.  I guess at the end of the day you can't please all of the people all of the time. I say leave it as it is and see how it settles down.
xpcomputers
Grafter

When viewing the forums on Pocket IE on Win Mobile 6, I see an ugly brown block behind the "Main Site" link here in the community site. I traced it in Firebug addin for Firefox, and found it to be this entry in the CSS:
#mainSiteLink {
background-color:#996633;

In this CSS file:
http://community.plus.net/forum/Themes/plusnet-brand-refresh/css/brandrefresh.css?update040408
I guess it should be a "plusnet shade of burgundy", as used in the rest of the header (or maybe transparent) as the background for that element.
I hope this helps. I'm used to sites looking odd on Pocket IE, but throwing in a a badly clashing colour for no purpose is just bad CSS coding...  ;O)
Of course it isn't normally seen anywhere on a normal browser, so the designers won't be seeing the clash like I am, as that element doesn't normally show up.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes, the "sky-blue-pink" works well as the hover-over colour on burgundy links, but is very brash in large blocks.
Also, did I see a {code} block (as opposed to the {quote} blocks) still using old-fashioned brown?  Shirley shum mishtake?
jwing
Grafter

Quote from: ChrisL
Also, did I see a {code} block (as opposed to the {quote} blocks) still using old-fashioned brown?  Shirley shum mishtake?

oops!, you've caught us!  Grin
Noticed very late in the day on Friday, it should be the same colours as the quotes which is the Blue. The Blue by the way is one of the new "brands" colours hence its use. With regards to having a choice of themes its something we are potentially looking at again, but this won't be something that would happen in the short term.
There may be other areas where we are still seeing elements of the old theme, which we will tweak as and when we find them (its due to the fact that the original forums theme we used have a very odd stylesheet structure, hence why we have missed the odd subtle style)
Thanks
Jonny
ChrisL
Rising Star

Jonny
Just a tuppence-ha'penny opinion, but.......
The idea of the sky-blue-pink, from a design point of view, is that it's complementary to the maroons -- maroon is red with a bit of blue in it, sky-blue-pink is blue with a bit of red in it. -- This is why it works so well as a hover-over on maroon.  But it also makes it shout when used in steady blocks on a mainly maroon page.  You may want the quote-blocks, etc, to shout, but I can't help thinking that it's OTT.  Just because you have a colour in the style-book doesn't mean you have to use it willy-nilly!
Please would you give consideration to using a dark shade of grey or a light shade of maroon for the blocks instead?  The colour used for the +sign in the logo might work better than the blue, but my vote would be for the darkest shade of grey used on the page margin.
I should say, good work on the Look over all  Smiley
Chris
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: jwing
The Blue by the way is one of the new "brands" colours hence its use.

As commented earlier somewhere in this thread, magenta does need its accompanying colours 'dimmed down' a bit (muted, if you like).
Consider the main page at http://www.plus.net/ .  Works beautifully.  But if you look at the 'Get Broadband for £6.99 a month' block, it's *graduated* colour - and thus striking and effective.  The "www" screen below it is again a mixture of shades.
I like the new, bold, 'brand' colours but darker, or graduated, shades of those same colours may help to provide a better effect, in places, where they're used on these forums.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
artificer
Grafter

i'm with you there chris.  the grey is a really pleasant soft shade that's easy on the eyes.
ChrisL
Rising Star

Thanks, Penny, I went for a look at the Home page (I usually start in the Members Centre) and I agree with you. I notice that the sky-blue-pink tabs on the right of the page do stand out, as they're meant to, even on a more colourful page.
One little thing I noticed in passing:  when you click the Contact Us tab and are taken to that page, the tab does not retain its clicked colour (the previous tab shows instead). The other tabs -- Products, Business, Help & Support -- all work properly, so heaven knows what's happening in the CSS....  (I'm using IE7, if that makes a difference.)
Chris

edit: it's the Help & Support tab that shows wrongly when you look at the Contact Us page.
jwing
Grafter

Morning all,
Just to let you know we will be rolling out a set of fixes to the community site in the next couple of hours, these include the following:
- Darker text in forum posts and making the the alternate colour background a slightly lighter grey (as per oldJims suggestions)
- Fixed a JavaScript errors on the front page
- Sorted the "Code" blocks having the old maroon colour, now blue like the comment blocks
- Header moving between different sections
- Tabs not highlighting when in sections
- Images overlapping text in IE 6
- Issues with data/time alignment
And some other general housekeeping, that i can't remember exactly what we did Smiley
With regards to the "Blue" being used in the "Quote" & "Code" blocks, we will look at some other options which we could use when we get some time, obviously these "Must" be within the new brand guidelines. For the short term were going to keep the "Blue", but as i said we will review its use in the aforementioned areas.
Thanks
Jonny
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: ChrisL
One little thing I noticed in passing:  when you click the Contact Us tab and are taken to that page, the tab does not retain its clicked colour (the previous tab shows instead). The other tabs -- Products, Business, Help & Support -- all work properly, so heaven knows what's happening in the CSS....  (I'm using IE7, if that makes a difference.)
Chris

edit: it's the Help & Support tab that shows wrongly when you look at the Contact Us page.

That's because that "How to Contact Us" page actually sits within the Help and Support section but they've put a direct link to it from the header to make it easier for people to go straight to that page.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Quote from: xpcomputers
When viewing the forums on Pocket IE on Win Mobile 6, I see an ugly brown block behind the "Main Site" link here in the community site. I traced it in Firebug addin for Firefox, and found it to be this entry in the CSS:
#mainSiteLink {
background-color:#996633;

In this CSS file:
http://community.plus.net/forum/Themes/plusnet-brand-refresh/css/brandrefresh.css?update040408
I guess it should be a "plusnet shade of burgundy", as used in the rest of the header (or maybe transparent) as the background for that element.
I hope this helps. I'm used to sites looking odd on Pocket IE, but throwing in a a badly clashing colour for no purpose is just bad CSS coding...  ;O)
Of course it isn't normally seen anywhere on a normal browser, so the designers won't be seeing the clash like I am, as that element doesn't normally show up.

Any chance of removing this brown block? Doesn't seem to have made it into you changes this morning.
As well as this one change I found, maybe you need to do a text search on the css files to see if any other old colours remain defined in obscure places in the CSS... waiting to pounce out in the future.
Shouldn't take too long to do....

Thanks.
jwing
Grafter

Quote from: xpcomputers
Any chance of removing this brown block? Doesn't seem to have made it into you changes this morning.

Sorry that was missed in the changes we rolled out yesterday, we will however be looking to do another rollout of fixes before the weekend, hence will try to get this fix out with those.
Thanks
Jonny
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Jonny,
Thank you for making an old man with dodgy eyesight happy  Grin