cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming soon to a website near you...

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Coming soon to a website near you...

And now the text in quotes is much clearer than the normal text.
Is it possible to add the same fix to the normal text
Colin
Grafter

They are the same font size as far as I can see?
James
Grafter

To me, the quoted text looks marginally sharper.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

No difference as far as I can tell. The background colour does make a difference when making a comparison, the background is always white within the quote, which makes it look sharper compared to the main text when its background is grey.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Did the change take a while to go through, it was about half hour later that I saw it, did see Jims and wondered where he got it from
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have just Photoshopped the text from a quote under the main text (from a white background) and the difference appears to be that the text from the quote is black and from the main text is more grey.
To show the point more clearly the second print is from Photoshop very magnified but with the main text underneath
for Pierre - I needed to refresh the page to get it
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

OK Jim, you've convinced me.
*maranello looks up the phone number for his optician*
My other car isn't a Ferrari
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Neil
One of the web design guys or marketing team can explain in more details but getting purple to match with other colours is very difficult.

Yeah, right!  Like orange? yellow? amber? cyan/turquoise? grey?  My missus could probably come up with more, but I would struggle spelling their names . . .  Tongue
Anyway, is there a way of accessing/reading the Plusnet forum messages (and perhaps posting) using a Newsreader?  Is there a Usenet interface to the forum content?  I am asking because the new design has a really bright background which combined with a small font hurts my eyes after a while.
jwing
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
And now the text in quotes is much clearer than the normal text.
Is it possible to add the same fix to the normal text

OldJim,
Thanks for your feedback.
Obviously this is something that you feel quite strongly about as i remember us having a similar conversation on these boards following the roll-out of the last design back in February.
A couple of things to point out with regards to the text following the roll-out of the new brand:
- The text is actually larger than the old version (the old version was 12px in size, the new 10pt which equates to about 13.3px in size). This is the size font (and colour) for branded pages throughout the Plusnet branded websites.
- The Font has actually changed to "Arial" which is our new brand HTML typeface. The previous font was "Verdana" which is a wider font and naturally tends to give the illusion that it is bigger in size. I did however see your screenshot of the old font and the new fonts together and thought that the old looked unusually big compared to what i see on my monitor?
I understand you have your resolution set very high, why not drop it down to a lower level such as 1280 x 1024 which will allow the fonts to be larger and clearer? In the web design industry websites are generally built for 1024 x 768 (most common resolution), but very often the layout  resizes depending on the resolution (like this site stretches, even though i am not a great fan of this Smiley ), this however does not include the font sizes which do not re-size . Hence 12px is used as an average for most websites as this is very clear on most screens without it looking too large or small on different resolutions.
I will have a conversation with the Lead Creative about how he feels about changing the font colour to "Black" from "Dark Grey" in the forums.
I will try to get a response today but it might not be until Monday now.
Thanks
Jonny
jwing
Grafter

Hi,
Just had a chat with Spencer our Lead Creative and he is happy with us changing the font to "Black" just within the forums. We are also going to look at making the "Grey" alternate shading slightly lighter in forum boards to help with the contract between the font colour, but we will be doing this inline with the new branding rules.
I will get somebody to look at making these changes next week.
Thanks
Jonny
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thanks jonny.
I bought a 22" widescreen monitor so that I could see 2 word documents side by side and cross edit them. Changing to 1280 x 1024 certainly solves the problem but leaves big black patches either side of the screen.
The solution for me is relatively easy as I just increase the screen magnification by 1 notch in Firefox 3 but that isn't really the point. The recommendations for font colour/background for people with a sight limitation is definitely not grey on grey
Taken from the RNIB site
High contrast must be provided between text and background colours. Pale blues and grey will not be easy to read on white backgrounds but dark blues, black or reds will.

As an example - and for me the grey is the worst of the colours.
text unchanged
text in black
text in dark blue
text in red
Oldjim
Resting Legend

and this is the same thing with the grey background
text unchanged
text in black
text in dark blue
text in red
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Whoops - somehow I missed the fact that you had already agreed to make the change  Embarrassed
Thank you very much again  Grin
jwing
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
and this is the same thing with the grey background
text unchanged
text in black
text in dark blue
text in red

To be honest the difference on my screens between the black and the grey is very nominal, but that might be due to the fact my screens have been fully hardware calibrated, obvioulsy i understand though that most peoples screens aren't hence why you are seeing something different to me :D.
As i said though, its something we will look to rectify next week by making the font black and the background of the grey slightly lighter.
Thanks
Jonny
Oldjim
Resting Legend

jonny,
That may well be a factor as my on wife's screen (a more expensive IIyama) the problem isn't so obvious. I know that the colours on my monitor aren't perfect but the adjustment ability is fairly poor