cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming across from BE - Keeping their router

aab203

Coming across from BE - Keeping their router

Hi there,
I have signed up to join Plusnet  :D.  Was not happy with the Sky buyout.
BE are letting me keep my 'new' router, which I believe is the same one that Plusnet give out - Thomson 585v7.
What do I need to do to get the router set up to work with Plusnet when the switch happens?
Is it simply a case of installing the Plusnet firmware, stated here: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
Thanks in advance,
Looking forward to joining Plusnet!
4 REPLIES 4
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Coming across from BE - Keeping their router

Suspect it will be the same as the O2 router, that's locked and will only accept O2 firmware. Also it will not even allow you to change the ppp username and password via telnet so the only thing it good for is a wireless access point / switch.
aab203

Thanks.
I just checked and I was wrong - the router I have is TG582n.  Is this compatible with Plusnet anyway?  I'll look into whether the firmware is locked or not.  Otherwise I'll just have the Plusnet router sent over Smiley
Thanks again,
Anthony
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, provided it's not locked it'll work fine - as you say, we send out the 582n anyway.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's not exactly locked, but will probably only readily accept Be's own firmware which has standard profiles that use very different settings to PN.
I imagine you can configure the settings manually, though I've never tried as all my assorted BeBoxes (3 different versions) are packed away and are only used for diagnostics, i.e. very rarely.