cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coincidence or Modem/Router issue

mushy
Grafter

Coincidence or Modem/Router issue

Had fibre upgraded from extra to unlimited today but the router seems to have lost the internet connection twice within 4 hours this afternoon and evening after being constantly connected for the last 24 days. Funnily enough with the lost of internet the BT IP Profile has dropped as well so don't know whether the modem lost connection but the DSL light stayed on.
I wasn't around the first time but the 2nd time the modem seemed ok and DSL light was on, on checking the router and power light on solid as normal all other lights was flashing on/off in unison at a steady rate but not quickly like when data is transfering then the internet light and wifi light went off leaving broadband and ethernet lights still flashing on/off before comming back to life about 10 mintes later
Also somewhere on the forum i remember seeing that you could get the extended logs from the router but having trouble tracking it down at the moment if anyone could let me know ?
Also can PN staff log into router/modem to see if it is a faulty router / modem or why the connection has dropped off twice later on today, i know there was some problems this morning but my daughter was home all day and said it never dropped then and didn't have a problem till late afternoon.
Any help or comments appreciated
Thanks
Steve
20 REPLIES 20
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Coincidence or Modem/Router issue

Via telnet:
syslog msgbuf show
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mushy
Grafter

Thanks for that jelv
using syslog msgbuf show only seemed to show what was already visible in the router log
using syslog msgbuf show hist=enabled seemed to go further back and looking at that there was another disconnection around the time i was notified the changeover had occured from extre to unlimited fibre so assume that one was normal
I will have a further look tonigfht when back home and see if there have been any further disconnections today
mplusnetuser
Grafter

I know nothing about this stuff, having only just discovered RouterStats.
But if  syslog msgbuf show hist=enabled  is better than  syslog msgbuf show , then might you, jelv, invite the RouterStats author to tweak things again?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm looking at the difference, but can't see any at present due to a recent full router reboot. Without the extra option I'm seeing more than the web interface shows.
Can anyone confirm mushy's findings? I wonder if it is firmware version dependant?
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Okay, thanks, I should have known you'd be on it.
I don't think I can offer any help because a) mine was rebooted recently (30th Dec) too, and b) I don't know how to Telnet in (other than with RouterStats).
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I'm looking at the difference, but can't see any at present due to a recent full router reboot. Without the extra option I'm seeing more than the web interface shows.

To be clearer, with RouterStats (i.e. syslog msgbuf show ) I see logs back to the 30/12 reboot, which is much more than the web UI which only shows back to yesterday.
mushy
Grafter

I was only checking through telnet, not through router stats if that is of any concequence.
I'm not sure how routerstats work having never used it.
I only got what was being show through the UI without the extra bit but with it i think it went back to the 29/12/12
Is there a way to export the log through telnet ? Don't think it would cut and paste but didn't have much time to play around.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If the log is shown in the DOS window - yes you can copy it
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: mplusnetuser
b) I don't know how to Telnet in (other than with RouterStats).

Open a cmd window and run the following command
telnet 192.168.1.254
The user name and password is the same as you use for the web interface.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@ mushy
Which firmware version are you on?
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Open a cmd window and run the following command
telnet 192.168.1.254
The user name and password is the same as you use for the web interface.

Oh, cool, thanks. Well, I tried without the hist=enabled first, in case it's a sticky setting. Then with it. Same results in both cases: identical logs back to the last reboot on 30/12.
Hopefully someone has a longer record to compare ...
mushy
Grafter

@ mushy
Which firmware version are you on?

Not at home at the moment to confirm but think it is something like 8.C.M.0
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Adding hist=enabled to the CLI log display command should show everything that is in the log buffer rather than just to last restart. My TG585v8 seems to do that by default, but raising this has prompted me to recall changing a setting soon after I received it in mid 2010. It had pre-distribution software at that time.
However I can't remember what I changed. I'll see if I can find anything in the guide.
David
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Further thoughts.
Looking at 'help' I didn't spot anything to make hist=enabled the default. Currently whether I add hist=enabled or hist=disabled to the TG585 log listing command makes no difference to the output. Both go back to shortly after the last restart/re-sync 17 days ago which is probably the extent of the buffer (around 450 lines).
David