cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closure of network port 500

waces

Closure of network port 500

Hi can anyone tell me whether Plusnet has shut down network port 500?  I use a works laptop from home occasionally which uses port 500 to establish a VPN connection.  Its stopped working about 2-3 weeks ago and now I cant connect from home anymore onto my works system, I can still use VPN on a BT broadband business account hub so I know its not the laptop.
Never had a problem before now and have been made aware that other IPS are blocking this network port.  Phoned Plusnet helpdesk and they could not help they suggested posting on here! 
Thanks for your help.
Carol
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Closure of network port 500

We definitely don't block port 500.
What happens when you try and establish a connection?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
waces

Hi
I run by VPN client, it runs for about 10 sec before it stops with message. Terminated locally by client ,Remote pier no longer responding.  I never get to the point of establishing a connection.  As I said before I've had no problem up until a few weeks ago.  I've had my laptop tested at work on the broadband line there (BT) and it connects without a problem.  When I first came to plus net I couldn't connect and they altered somthing on my account and its worked ever since  - until now.
Carol
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried disabling the Plusnet firewall
waces

Hi
I haven't tried that.  can the firewall change its own settings?  As I've had no problem before and I havent changed any of my settings.
How would I check my firewall settings?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Interesting - mine is shown as off but before I changed products I think it was on low so it appears that something changed it and I don't think it was me
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Since 'Manage my useage' reverts to default on a product change I'd not be surprised if the firewall (and possibly other things) do too so don't forget to check your useage limit.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The product you're on has the firewall set to 'low' by default and will have been like that for a while (it was introduced several years ago).
You can change the setting here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall&firewallPage=basic
Once you've done so, you'll need to disconnect/reconnect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.