cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco 837 as ethernet router.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Cisco 837 as ethernet router.

I have been using an 837 for quite some time now, what a piece of hardware. I have now got more IP addresses as I need to use some public addresses. Obviously I will still need to use NAT for my local network.
My plan is to use a DG834 I have in no NAT to run the public addresses straight through. This works fine. I then want to use the 837 to perform NAT on one or more IP addresses. I know I can do this by enabling the eth2 option and using fast ethernet port 4 instead of the built in modem.
I thought this would be simply a case of taking most of the current the current (working) config from int Dialer0 and applying it to eth 2 but I have not got this to work yet. Does anyone know where I can find information on how to set up an 837 as a NAT router using the eth2 option and not the internal modem?
The other reason for this planned setup is because the Netgear DG834 syncs with the exchange a lot faster than the Cisco.
4 REPLIES 4
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Cisco 837 as ethernet router.

I know nothing about the Cisco, but you can use some internal devices on NAT in tandem with others on external IP's on the Netgear.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yes but I really want to use the Cisco as it offers me features that the Netgear alone just cannot offer.
Fast Ethernet4 (Ethernet2) is connected to the Netgear which is running in No Nat.
I have the following config that will just not work. Anyone got any ideas?
interface Ethernet0
ip address 10.19.7.31 255.0.0.0 (this is the internal router address that the cisco had when I was successfully using its internal modem)
ip nat inside
ip virtual-reassembly
hold-queue 100 out
!
interface Ethernet2
ip address 84.X.X.34 255.255.255.248 (This is the second of my public addresses, The Netgear has the first)
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
no snmp ifindex persist
hold-queue 224 in
hold-queue 100 out
!
interface ATM0
no ip address
shutdown
snmp ifindex persist
no atm ilmi-keepalive
dsl operating-mode auto
hold-queue 224 in
pvc 0/38
 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
 dialer pool-member 1
!
!
interface FastEthernet1
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet2
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet3
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet4
duplex auto
speed auto
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet2
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
ip nat inside source list 1 interface Ethernet2 overload
!
access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
no modem enable
stopbits 1
line aux 0
stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
login
!
scheduler max-task-time 5000
end
seanbranagh
Grafter

This is really pickling my head so I ordered a Cisco 2611 dual ethernet router from eBay. Not sure if that will be any easier but at least it will mount nicely in my cabinet!  Grin
seanbranagh
Grafter

For future reference (for myself and others) I have now got this working.
The problem was that I was setting the default route as Ethernet2 "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet2"
This is how the router works when it is using its own modem i.e.  "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1"
This does not work when using a different router on the actual connection because the IP of Ethernet2 is not the IP facing the internet so to fix this I just replaced Ethernet2 in the comand with the IP of the Netgear which is the first IP in my public block. Job done.