cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast on Plusnet technicolor router

andyxr

Chromecast on Plusnet technicolor router

Good morning!
I've been trawling the forums looking at other's experiences of getting to Chromecast to play ball with Plusnet's technicolor router. I too am experiencing the issue where, after set up, the Chromecast can't be found by the Chromecast app.
Apparently, one solution is to use the WPS feature of the modem (mine has a WPS button which flashes red when I press it). I understand that this allows devices to connect to the wifi without requiring a key to be entered. So, I've pressed this button and then tried to get the Chromecast set up in time before the button stops flashing (I think it times out after a while if no device tries to connect).
I've also read about upgrading firmware.
However, is there a definitive solution to getting Chromecast up and running on the technicolor router?
And... if I get rid of the Chromecast in favour of Apple TV, am I likely to hit the same problem (i.e. it's a router/wifi set up issue, rather than a device-specific one)?
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Andy
9 REPLIES 9
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Chromecast on Plusnet technicolor router

I had the latest firmware and that didn't make a difference. Fortunately i've got my TP link back on line now and this works fine with it.
andyxr

What's TP link, may I ask? Another router? So you found it was something specific to the technicolor router that prevented the Chromecast from working? Is Plusnet OK with us using different routers? I guess it's just a case of changing the authentication/DNS etc settings on the new router to match those used on the old technicolor one....
Adie:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Doesn't help your cause much but I've a Technicolor 589vn and my Chromecast works fine. Might see if I can take it round to the parents at some point, they have fibre and a 582n. Are you on fibre?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Its a TD-W8970 that I just bought as a cheapo to tide me over until fibre cos I got fed up with a Netgear R7000. It has been very good though. This and the netgear had no problems with the Chromecast or the panasonic PVR (see other thread on panny blu ray) whereas the TG582n wasn't happy with either. Got the panny working using a manually assigned IP address but the chromecast never would set up properly.
PT
andyxr

@Bob - yes I'm a fibre customer
@phyliss - thanks for the info.
I have an old Orange Broadband router, but I'm guessing that may not work as it could be tied to the Orange (EE) network. I left EE to join Plusnet. Generally happy, but one of my plans was to get a Chromecast running, but obviously it's proving to be pretty difficult!
Can anyone shed light on the WPS button? I know it puts it into a simpler security mode, and I've heard this can help with Chromecast but wasn't sure exactly how..
NedLudd
Grafter

No Technicolour but a TP-Link router.
I had a Chromecast for a day and it was rubbish! Wouldn't hold the signal for more than 4 mins. My Apple TV in the same room works flawlessly!
Plenty of bad press about the Chromecast on the web about them overheating and dropping the signal.
Bought an Ethernet net box from Tesco. All I want is BBC iPlayer!
Geoff,
York.
andyxr

Well, blow me down. I tweaked my router to use manual channel selection. After a couple of Chromecast setup attempts, it's working!
Now I just need to make sure the rest of my wireless is performing OK.. (which, considering I'm typing this on a Chromebook, I can assume is OK!)
Odd.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Glad to hear you got it working Andy. The wireless channel thing is useful to know. Incidentally my 589vn already has the wireless channel fixed which might explain why I've never had problems?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

andyxr

Yeah, could be. It's actually working a treat. No drop outs, etc.
Good to know there's a community of people out there willing to help; thank-you!
- Andy