Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas Code Lockdown

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Christmas Code Lockdown

I have come across another term I am not familiar with namely Code Lockdown.
Would someone please enlighten me.
Many thanks
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
8 REPLIES 8
mcgurka
Grafter

Re: Christmas Code Lockdown

I too am curious......
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Code lockdown or code freeze is simply that we won't roll any changes to our code base while it's happening. There are, of course, exceptions to this if there is a requirement to fix a P1.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mcgurka
Grafter

ahh right, ok.
Im learning too many new terms today!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

All the developers are winding down for Christmas Grin
But on a more serious note, as developer, it's something we do when we're near to making a major release. Only critical defects (called High Severity, Priority where I work) are addressed, anything considered an enhancement or additional feature is deferred.
This gives the test team plenty of time to batter the product, without risk of us introducing further defects (not that we ever do of course!) making a stable release.
I would assume PlusNet do something similar over this period, because there is probably limited cover what with the limited working days and their resources are solely concentrated on serious problems should they arise, rather than future work.
Strat
Community Veteran

So you have a sort of Year End for code changes...Hmmm
We do that for Stock Control and Accounting.
Do you have to do a stock count of all lines of code for auditing purposes Wink

Quote from: Alex
This gives the test team plenty of time to batter the product, without risk of us introducing further defects (not that we ever do of course!) making a stable release.

A bit like M$ then Roll_eyes
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat
A bit like M$ then Roll_eyes

Well 'stable' is a relative word Cheesy
Though we do have a test team which we employ to try and find as much as possible, not that things don't happen on site with customers though.
Much is similar I suppose .. some customers do offer to Beta test new releases, and we obviously tell them what this means. Though it's good for providing feedback and it gives us some free testing. Beta testing is always good when people volunteer to do it, as it means free!
Microsoft do the same with their Beta releases.
We also release service packs, but err.. our software doesn't really need them often. Unlike Microsoft where you need to wait until SP1 or 2.
(My above comment has nothing to do with the fact my boss might be reading it ;D)
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Alex
Well 'stable' is a relative word Cheesy

....and very topical at this time of the year Wink
Ianwild
Grafter

Someone from BT was telling me the other day that the last time BT engineers went on strike (a while ago now!), there was a massive concern that fault rates would spiral out of control. In fact, the opposite happened. Because there weren't engineers poking around with stuff there were much fewer problems than normal.
The change freeze is similar - it's not just developers that get a break, it's the rest of us too who have to spend time looking at or helping customers with things that break for one reason or another!
Ian