cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checklist for Engineer

edwarduk

Checklist for Engineer

Hi
After not a lot of convincing by the excellent [removed] at Plusnet I decided to go with Plusnet rather than BT for Fibre. I'm hoping that PN will keep me more regular than BT.  Grin
Joking aside. What I'm looking for here is a checklist I can use to ensure that the OR engineer does her/his job properly on the day.
Anyone?
My install date is 17th May (an earlier date was given but I chose a later date).
cheers
Edward
(Muswell Hill exchange - LNMUS).
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim): CSA name removed as per the forum rules.]
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Checklist for Engineer

Hi there,
We're not party to a full technical checklist (i.e we don't have list of all the external work needed at the cabinet etc).
But all they do is change the faceplate, install the modem and connect it to the router, so the visit itself isn't too involved.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
njay
Grafter

Well the first open reach engineer (I use the word losely)  who attended my fttc install didn't do the first bit of your 3point checklist Adam. But he didn't install the data extension cable either lol.
gaz31
Dabbler

The engineer who installed my fibre never changed the faceplate either, just used my old adsl faceplate.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Pretty much as Adam has said but I'd add that they should call you to say they're at the cabinet or on their way, they will normally let you know that your phone line will go dead for a short time (while they make the connections at the cabinet).
Ideally, when they arrive they should change the faceplate on the master socket (unless a data extension has been requested), plug a tester in to the socket to check the VDSL (some, possibly subcontractors, do not have this equipment), mount the modem on the wall and connect it to the power and the DSL socket and wait for the DSL light to go green, re-connect any telephone(s) disconnected when removing the old faceplate and check they're still working.  Some will wait while you connect your router to the modem and prove everything's working.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

When I had my fibre install done last month, it was an outside contractor working on behalf of Openreach.
Before he left he checked the internet was working, he also checked for a phone dial tone & asked me to test the alarm dialler he had wired back in to new faceplate.
edwarduk

Guys, that is great thanks very much.  Smiley
When OR do an install for a BT Infinity connection they ensure that at least one computer (connected via ethernet) is up and running. If necessary they will change whatever settings are required. It seems that for PN this does not happen? I wonder why not?
In any event I plan on insisting that OR connect the PN router to the modem and allow me to connect one machine (via ethernet)  to the router to ensure I have a (good) connection.  If I don't have a good connection do I have any rights at that point? Can I sign off as an inadequate install?
I have been bitten badly by BT/OR in the past and I'd rather not get into a pi**ing match after the install. One of the main reasons I'm going with PN (even though they are owned by BT) is that they 'seem' to have a separate (read better) cultural work ethic. But of course PN are reliant on OR.
I will be adding to my checklist  "make tea for OR engineer" - hopefully this will prevent the engineer trying to do a rush job in 5 minutes.
By the way the relevant green cabinet is only about 150 yards away from my front door. I wonder why I'm only being indicated 62mb. I guess the actual cabling is taking a longer route.
cheers
Edward
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

In any event I plan on insisting that OR connect the PN router to the modem and allow me to connect one machine (via ethernet)  to the router to ensure I have a (good) connection.

The engineer doesn't have to comply with this, the type of install we use them for is to connect up the modem and ensure that's receiving sync.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, I had fibre installed last week.  Engineer phoned to say the telephone would go dead for 10 minutes.  Engineer wearing OpenReach uniform turned up shortly afterwards in an unmarked white van.
I'd read some engineers don't replace the ADSL face plate, so I had already removed it and reverted to using a microfilter a few days earlier (I don't have any phone extensions).  He fitted a new face plate and connected up the OR modem, then checked there was a dial tone on the phone, but didn't perform any VDSL tests using any diagnostic equipment.

I was already using my Fibre TG582N with an ADSL router (configured in bridge modem mode), so he just swapped the WAN cable over to the OR modem.  We performed some speed tests using my laptop initially using wifi and got 49mb down.   He said that was too low and so we repeated using ethernet which returned 73mb using speedtest.net.
Although he brought a large toolbox with him, he didn't offer to mount the modem on the wall, which didn't bother me.  I later discovered the cardboard box did come with a wall mounting paper template but there were no fixings.  I didn't have any screws which fitted the very shallow key-hole slots on the back of the ECI modem, so I improvised and wrapped some string around the modem and hung it on the wall using a picture hook....  Cheesy   I have a cabinet which sits in front of the modem and master phone socket
He couldn't get a signal for Vodafone 3G using his iPhone, so I gave him access to my wifi network, to enable an online questionaire, about the installation, to be completed and subsequently signed by me.   I had to ask him to 'Forget' my wifi network when he was about to leave.  He was only in the house for 20 minutes.
fwiw, originally estimated speed was 49mb down, 11mb up.  Actual IP profile is 77mb down, 20mb up.  I'm about 300m from the green cabinet as the crow flies.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-