cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking IP addresses...

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Checking IP addresses...

Because of unusual allowance usage I've been running Think Broadband Meter. The log lists IP addresses visited but some don't show their host name.
I've tried googling some of the unamed IP addresses, I get lots of sites indicating they may have details but I'm wary of clicking on any of them.
Does anyone know of a safe website where the details of IP addresses can be checked?
8 REPLIES 8
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Checking IP addresses...

http://www.dnsstuff.com/
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the link, although partially gobbledgook to me have identified one IP as Amazon nicking download usage.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@christmas
What is it your'e trying to find out and what's problem are you wanting to resolve?
I'd guess by... 
Because of unusual allowance

...you mean that you've accrued a more usage than expected?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In the other thread he's posted in about usage, the machine in question had been connecting to a lot of mysterious IP addresses as a result of a Trojan.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks Anotherone,
If someone could point me to that thread, I'd like to read through that too. Searching for christmas on here is finding lots of end-of-year seasonal cheer and not much else Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have a look around here Adam. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105803.msg905059.html#msg905059
Easiest to avoid the seasonal stuff by clicking on the user name and looking through 'last posts'  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
christmas
Aspiring Pro

When running ThinkBroadband Meter it provides the Host Name for some IP addresses but not others...so wanted to know if there was a way to find out the HostName/Website from the IP address.
Some I've been able to locate, most are said to be located in America.
Interestingly one of the websites I checked out was being advertised on TV yesterday.
kmilburn
Grafter

Another good site for checking IP related info is http://network-tools.com.
For a simple check,  do a Lookup,  for more complete information, try Whois.
But,  even these will only identify the prime address information,  it won't help if the machines are running multilpe virtual hosts.
For example,  my Static IP resolves to my account,  but doesn't show the other domain names pointing to the same address.