cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check my profile

sinewave
Grafter

Check my profile

May I ask if anyone at PN can check my my profile for my newly installed fibre broadband. I had it in last Friday and it seems locked down on 16MB download and 6MB up. I phoned tech on Saturday but there's been no change despite being told otherwise. I also raised a ticket (#66287272) last night but there's been no response so far.
It's all gone quiet in Plusnet towers?
Do I need to power cycle the modem or router to see profile changes?
Does power cycling the kit help things along at all - or could it make things worse?
I need to get a "feel" for my new fibre tech!
TIA
8 REPLIES 8
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Check my profile

Hi sinewave. If you run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Copy and paste the results in a post here. The test result will quote the BT IP Profile for the Line. Also check your Current Line speed (Login required) which should match the BT IP Profile.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I'd suggest attempting a cycle reboot of the modem and router, I'll also get the fault ticket picked up that you've raised.
Let me know if the reboot works.
Chris
sinewave
Grafter

Anotherone...
BT speed test result says:
Download speed  achieved during the test was - 13.27 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 12 Mbps-15.36 Mbps . Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 15.36 Mbps

Note that the download speed is usually slightly higher than that and is very constant with little or no fluctuation (it looks and feels like its being limited - at least thats what it looks like if it was like the "old ADSL")
Plusnet "current line speed" says 37MB
Something does not feel right
Chrispurvey...
A power cycle of router and modem seems to have had no effect.
I see my support ticket has been "escalated to the right pool"  at 9:01am this morning, but there has been no response yet.
Anotherone
Champion

The BT IP profile for the line x1.033 gives the sync speed and clearly circa 15Mbps is too low for Fibre and you surely have a fault. What was the estimated speed you were given? How long have you been on FTTC?
The Current Line Speed is higher which won't limit your speed but it won't give good traffic management, ideally it should equal the BT IP profile, but also that value suggests it hasn't received an updated value from BTw's systems. This and the low sync speed is probably why Chris Purvey suggested trying a reboot.
Try a "reboot" again tomorrow in daylight if you can, but leave the Modem off for an hour. Login to the router and click Disconnect to drop the PPP session, and then turn it off. Pause then turn off the modem. When you power up again, modem first, wait for all the lights to settle then power up the Router, log in and click Connect if need be.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I'd suggest running through our faults wizard at http://faults.plus.net as it looks like we may need to investigate this further.
Keep me updated on what you do.
sinewave
Grafter

OK, a bit of an update. I am not the happiest of bunnies to be frank.
My speed problems are unchanged and if anything a little worse. I have had an engineers visit without any joy at all. I am getting sub 15Mbps speeds whilst my green cab is less than 500m away.
The engineer who came seemed pretty rubbish. He said he measured the speed at the cab (a full 40Mbps - PN has now corrected this as it should have been the full 80/20 package!). He said he measured the speed at the pole and my faceplate (which both showed the same speed of just less than 16Mbps). From this he concluded the line from home to pole was perfect. He said his tests showed "all green lights" and there was no fault. I noted he phoned "called in" quite a lot to ask his boss. I asked him about line characteristics including attenuation and line length but he said "they could be anything", and could not provide any tech info about the line. He accepted the speed was low but when asked what was causing the slow speed he said "it could be anything". I suggested that it could be a fault somewhere on the line (!) but he said all his lights showed green and no faults - and then something about OFCOM standards.
Following research on Kitz and discussion on Think Broadband, I believe there has to be a problem with my line, I am just frustrated that the engineer who cam seemed pretty pointless.
It is about 500metres to my green cab. I appreciate this distance will not equal line length but at even double this distance I should surely be getting more than I am.
BT speed test: for past two days provide similar stats:
IP profile of 14.95Mbps
download speed 14.65Mbps
usual online speed tests show I typically get between 12 and 14Mbps downloads.
Uploads are about 4 to 5Mbps
I am on the 80/20 unlimited package.
My estimated speed was 37 Mbps (or so) and I presume this was for the 40/10 package as this is the package that plusnet put me on erroneously to start with.
If anyone is interested in the discussion I had on TB its here...
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4219533-less-than-15mbps-on-a-500m-line.html?vc=1
Any advise on how to take this matter further will be most welcome.
If any plusnet tech wants to check my ticket and push the issue a bit 🙂  it's...
Question #66287272
my
Anotherone
Champion

It's quite clear from your TBB posts that
1) you should have asked what you were signing for, and probably refused
2) from your last post, they clearly made no attempt whatsoever to check the D side thoroughly..They simply stated that
Quote from: Engineer
the line may only be capable of these speeds.
Nothing like stating the bloody obvious  Roll_eyes
3) The engineer that said he couldn't measure the attenuation was a liar. They are quite capable of measuring a number of line characteristics with the JDSU tester. They are quite capable of getting line length as well.
To say that there was no way of knowing if there was Aluminium cable there, then he needs to go to specsavers - it's funny how lots of OR engineers know where there is Aluminium cable - was this chap from OR or was he a sub-contractor?
If it was raining or cold perhaps this bloke didn't want to spend any more time at the top of the pole looking for and testing a spare pair  Lips_are_sealed
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
I'm really sorry that the engineer has not been able to increase the speed on your line. It does look as though more should and could have been done to investigate this. I'm going to push back on this now and see when we can get you another engineer out. I'll update your ticket very shortly.