Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check my connection please

chrish16
Grafter

Check my connection please

Hi
I thought was being subject to BT profiling, yesterday, can you check my connection please and possibly reset.
I use my own custom SNR on my router, and my router disconnected earlier, I've rebooted but it came back with a much slower sync of about 4015kbps. I've reset the custom SNR and the speed has stayed at 4015kbps or there abouts. My current SNR has gone up to 14.4db, it has been sitting comfortably for months around 5db on my custom SNR.
My line stats at the point i had problems were:
downstream 4015kbps, att. 45.5db, noise 14.4db
upstream 1023db, att. 24.2db, noise 5.9db

I then waiting a few minutes and did another reboot just with my router interface and seems to partly corrected inself.
Stats now are:
downstream 6419kbps, att. 45.5db, noise 9.4db
upstream 1048kbps, att. 24.3db, noise 5.3db
are you able to drop the SNR from your end below 9.4db?
12 REPLIES 12
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Check my connection please

Hi chrish16,
Just had a quick look through your connection, we can do a SNR reset to reduce the noise on your line, first though we just need to see a connection overnight, as there have been a few disconnections yesterday(probably from resetting the router), so we'll have a look at it tomorrow and if all is still connected then I'll get straight onto it.  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The question you need to address is why did the connection drop, as well as why has the margin gone high (sounds like the Target Noise Margin has gone to 15dB).
Can you hear any audible crackling or other noises on your phone line when using the phone, or do you have an problems with outgoing or incoming calls?
Are you using something like DMT to alter your Target Noise Margin? Which modem/router are you using?
chrish16
Grafter

I'm using a Netgear DG834G with DGTeam firmware.  I rebooted the router because it crashed, but when came back up the speed had dropped noise margain really low.  I reset the SNR adjustment to normal, and it was still not quite right I thought.  If the default SNR is 9.6db i think that can be lowered by Plusnet, as running on 6db is reliable.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chrish16,
I've looked at your connection and everything appears to be stable Smiley so I've done a SNR reset of your line and set your downstream noise to 6db, this normally takes around 4 hours to take effect but can sometimes be over night so please don't power your router down for at least 24 hours. Checked after the SNR reset and so far looking good Smiley
Chris
chrish16
Grafter

Hi Chris

I was remoted into my server from work when you did that and its kicked me off, which is fair enough you did the reset, problem is I can't get back in, it looks as if my broadband connection isn't up.  Can you see from your end if my router is synced and logged in to plusnet?
It looks like the router needs a reboot, but I know you said not to reboot it for 24 hours.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your connection is now back up and running, so give it another go and hopefully all should be fine. Smiley
Chris
chrish16
Grafter

Hi Chris
All up now Cheesy
chrish16
Grafter

Chris

What have you done?  Smiley  Its like instant loading things now remotely.  My home server interface and login is like instant before I had to wait a few seconds.

Thank you
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Waved my magic wand  Grin
Ideal scenario for a SNR reset, stable line and now a correct profile, win win situation Smiley
chrish16
Grafter

Excellent thank you.
Was I on an incorrect profile etc.?  Is that all down to the BT systems profiling?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not the wrong one, when your router disconnected your noise just peaked a little higher, so just brought that back in-line from our side Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You need to keep an eye on your Current Line speed (Login required) and make sure that it matches the BT IP profile, if/when you have profile/sync speed changes.
You can of course check the BT IP profile for the line by running the BT Speedtester (Diagnostic), but on 21CN is should always be 88.2% of the sync speed.