Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check interleaving disabled?

Fru
Dabbler

Check interleaving disabled?

Hi,
Re support ticket #83490538, my speed issue is now resolved, but my ping still seems a little high.
Could somebody from PlusNet please check and confirm that interleaving has been disabled?
I've tried checking myself but I don't think it's possible with the TG582n router, unless anybody can tell me otherwise! Smiley
Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Check interleaving disabled?

Easy way to tell is if it is logging FEC errors in the router stats - if it is interleaving is on. http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0 gives the stats page.
Edit: Couldn't tell from original post this was FTTC
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Interleaving in on (Low) on the downstream. Interleaving is off on your upstream.
With Fibre, we don't have the facility to switch this on/off unfortunately.
Fru
Dabbler

Sorry Jelv, I should have said it was FTTC.
Chris, I suspected as much as my pings are now 22-23, where they were 13-14 prior to the last engineer's visit.
(I know 10ms isn't a lot, but as any avid gamer will agree you need every advantage you can get, and I must admit I'm a bit obsessive about it Smiley )
So if it can't be switched manually, does interleaving on fibre switch itself on/off over time?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

That's right, it'll switch itself off, if the line is error free - basically, if DLM thinks the line can operate perfectly fine without any errors without Interleaving, it'll just remove it. If there are a number of errors on the line which are likely to cause poor performance/experience, that's when Interleaving goes on.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I really don't get this obsession with stupidly low pings. I'm on a 20CN line with Max Premium (faster upload), maximum sync, interleaving off with incredibly low error rate and my ping to BBC is around 20ms. Are you saying that isn't good enough for gaming? Not that long ago that would have been considered incredibly good.
I'd have thought that consistency of the latency (i.e. low jitter) was far more important to gaming than just being low. With interleaving the chances of packets being lost is dramatically reduced, so I'd have thought a consistent 20ms was far better than 12ms with the occasional packet having to be retransmitted.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fru
Dabbler

Thanks Chris
jelv:  20ms is absolutely fine for gaming of course, and thinking about it, you are probably right - it's better to have a stable 20ms ping than one that constantly loses packets at 13ms.
It's just that I've been playing FPS games in particular for about 16 years; before 'broadband' even existed and 56k modems were 'cutting edge' for regular consumers :). Back in the day every ms really did count. Nowadays I guess game netcode has become more sophisticated, partly due to the increased bandwidth,  and so compensates for fluctuations in ping much better.
My current game of choice is Battlefield 4, which has ongoing issues with its netcode.  I have certainly found that having the lowest ping possible helps.
Also  I'm getting on a bit, and my reactions aren't what they used to be, I'm hoping a low ping will work in my favour Smiley