cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges?

Esme185
Dabbler

Charges?

Had problems with my internet since day 1 (about 2 and a half weeks) with my line dropping, speeds of;

0.78 Mb Download speed 0.79Mb upload 52 ms ping time

Internet won't stay on longer than 10mins. I've bought a new router, filters and cable, still not helping, even a BT quiet line test came back with no problems what so ever.

Now, for the past 5 years, ive had no problems at all with any other provider. Perfect internet, no downtime, good speeds. Now I come to plusnet, recommended from a friend (now ex friend because of all this ha) to all these problems. PlusNet would now like to send out an engineer out, with costly costs. Even if no fault is found they want to charge me. Either way, I'll be charged. I think its an absolute disgrace. Has anyone had any of this arise? I will not accept the terms of a charge for an engineer vist. So what will happen next?

32 REPLIES 32
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Charges?

You're wrong in that OpenReach will only generate charge if fault found with the wiring in your home that's

downside of the BT/OR Master Socket.

Have you tried temporarily connecting router into the Test Socket in the Master Socket?

If you've a BT Phone book there's normally an illustration of how to do this at front.

Esme185
Dabbler

Hi Gel, I only have one socket, it doesn't have a test socket on it.

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Esme185,

When we receive notice that a visit is chargeable (which is unlikely if you've been through all the troubleshooting we've advised) we do check the engineer notes to ensure this is valid, even at that point the charge can still be challenged if needed based on your feedback to us.

Other thread for reference: https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Connection-dropping/m-p/1452263#M315624

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Esme185
Dabbler

Thank you
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

As it was explained to me "if no fault is found" means if everything is working as it should and there is nothing wrong, not if they can't find out what's wrong. Presumably, you have already satisfied PN that there is a fault or they wouldn't be offering to send an engineer. Low speed or frequent disconnections indicate a fault is present, whether the engineer can find it or not, so the main concern is where and why there is a fault and whose fault the fault is. If the fault turns out to be your responsibility or your imagination you would be charged.

Do make absolutely sure you can't miss the engineer, though, and ideally have a camera watching your door so you can have a record of who comes. I suspect overstretched engineers sometimes claim they have visited a property and found no one in when they can't make their target for the day because other jobs have taken too long. Certainly, something similar happened to me. PN accepted what I said, waived the charge and in fact offered me a new router by way of apology.

In other words, you have to agree to something written by lawyers to cover all possibilities, but in my experience common sense was applied in how it was used.

Esme185
Dabbler

Thank you, very good advice 😊
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Esme185 wrote:

Hi Gel, I only have one socket, it doesn't have a test socket on it. 

One thing. If an Openworld engineer does gain access they are automatically replacing older NTE 5 sockets with the current NTE 5C version. I don't know but would expect this also applies if you have an older LJU type (no consumer plate/Test socket).

Esme185
Dabbler

Thanks pvmb,

Would this be necessary for them to do this?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It's possibly not necessary, but I believe engineers are renewing master sockets to the new NTE5C, for quality purposes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

@Esme185 wrote:
Thanks pvmb,

Would this be necessary for them to do this?

I understand it's current policy.

There can be 'issues' with the older design in uncongenial environments (as I found myself, there was a potential design weakness in the consumer plate design). IMO this has likely been noticed by Openworld through examining returned faulty units. Also, the new design is 'Tool Free' from the consumers' point of view. It's also simpler and so likely cheaper to produce!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Gandalf wrote:

It's possibly not necessary, but I believe engineers are renewing master sockets to the new NTE5C, for quality purposes.

@Gandalf,

OT: If this is indeed the case, do you have any knowledge of the likely out come if the NTE5 being replaced has a service specific faceplate (SSF)?  I have been given to understand by BTOR engineers (JC Quinn) that SSFs are no longer being issued by BTOR.

This could leave a user having a SSF installation without a filter available after a change to the new NTE5c.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

For 'Openworld' read 'Openreach'.

Can't seem to edit posts anymore, is this now time limited?

tictaco

I have. And yep if even no fault find they wanna charge me, what funny that to my house incoming cable from the lines not even 2 meter long Smiley

us part of the investigation of this fault we may need an engineer to visit your property to test the line. If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

God! This reply has just been expletive deleted during editing!

@tictaco

Yep! That has long been my understanding: "if no fault is found (in BTOR equipment)"

IMO this is usually mis-described by people as: "No charge if no fault on your premises". Whereas it should really be:

"No charge IF FAULT FOUND in BTOR equipment and not caused by consumer or non BTOR action". Which is not quite the same thing!

Also, 'BTOR equipment' does not seem to include the consumer side of the NTE. i.e. The NTE consumer plate, even though this was originally supplied by BTOR. In my case I made sure of this and replaced a faulty consumer plate before calling an engineer for a fault in the BTOR cable just behind the NTE.

AFAIK the current BTOR call out charge is more than £100. This is passed on to the consumer's service provider and, in the case of Plusnet, if charged they pass it on at 'only' £65.