cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for engineer visit(s) ticket ref 169856927

trillos

Charges for engineer visit(s) ticket ref 169856927

I've had a text message and question opened (174600216) 'after a recent engineer visit' relating to a visit on 12th of March! The fictitious response bears no relation to what actually happened. The report says that there was damage to the socket and signs of physical damage - not true. The engineer suggested that the hard-wired line out to the phone (is this what is referred to as damage?) was inserted by 'a customer' - why would I do that and how would I know how to? It was in fact inserted when a BT engineer installed the socket when I moved in (1995), as the phone extension connected (from a previous owner) didn't have a plug on it.

He then said that there were other phone faults in the area that had been fixed and that my phone was now working. At that point I tried the phone and got a dialling tone. I'd previously not got one even when connected to the master socket. To reiterate, when I called PN, they tested the line and found a fault (eventually), the phone service was out, but broadband was working. If the socket was damaged or missing – as this engineer’s report says, then the broadband wouldn't be working, would it? The engineer offered to replace the existing socket as mine was so old. He said my broadband would be faster (?). I said okay, not knowing that this would be a way of charging me 65 pounds. Note that at this point both services were working. He then took out the microfilters as they would 'slow down your internet', because they weren't needed with the new socket... except that the socket he fitted didn't have a built in microfilter, so in taking out my filters the broadband slowed right down.

By the time I realised that the broadband wasn't just acting up, or slowly picking up speed after a reconnection, it was locked down to 0.24 mbps download and 0.00 mbps upload (BT wholesale figures). Enter a second engineer (will I be charged for him as well??) who said that the problem could be the socket and the hardwired line out (again), that this must have been fitted by a customer (again)...no, it was fitted a few weeks earlier by the first engineer. It is still there now and working fine BTW, so clearly not a problem. He found the fault with the filters, re-fitted my filters (I still had them) and got it up and running. We then tested the broadband and it was fine... So far, so good.

…then around an hour later I picked up the phone, only to find I had no dialling tone, again. I tried it in the socket and it was fine, so the socket out worked, just the hardwired line had been disconnected or damaged by the second engineer. I could have called for another engineer, but having suffered 2 incompetent ones, a loss of services for several weeks (which I’ve paid for) and 2 days off work, I had no confidence that a third one would fix it. So I fixed it myself: I bought a cable with Y junction and 2 sockets and a new extension cable and now run both services off the built in socket. It works fine now.

My question (sorry it’s taken so long) is why this report says socket is ‘missing or damaged’ when broadband was working and the socket had worked just fine for 23 years? It is, BTW, protected behind a set of drawers, so cannot be accessed (or damaged) without emptying the drawers and moving furniture.

Also, why are engineers not responsible for their actions? If they fit a wire into a socket they should be responsible for it, if not then don’t fit it.

Do I need to photograph equipment before and after a visit, and film what the engineer does to prove my case, or are there engineers that can be trusted? If I had known what was going to happen then I would have done so. I started with the phone line out, but broadband working. Then engineer one fixed my phone line and broke the broadband, then engineer two fixed broadband and broke phone connection, then I got them both working.

5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Charges for engineer visit(s) ticket ref 169856927

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Thank you for your time on the phone today @trillos. I am really sorry for the confusion and inconvenience this has caused. I have responded via your account here with what we have discussed. Please let us know if you have any further concerns. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

This saga is very confusing. Is ‘the socket’you are talking about the master socket? If I understand it correctly you are now working fine with an extension cable plugged into the master socket. You need to be aware that any cabling downstream of the master socket (actually the test socket, which is exposed if you take the front off the master socket) is your responsibility so if the engineer found the fault was with this then it is chargeable. 

How did you manage to plug your router in without using a filter or filtered faceplate?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

trillos

Yes master socket. The 'cable' is hardwired into it, the current one fitted by the engineer at the visit that they wanted to charge me for. That is not the fault or the cause of it. You are right: The router didn't work without a filter, that's why the broadband ground to a halt and I needed the second engineer.

It's confusing if you try to resolve what I say with what PN say, as the reports are fundamentally different! The cable was, in both cases, fitted by the engineer, once when I moved in (by BT) in 1995 and once at this visit in March when he replaced the socket AND the cable. PN talk of taking the line over and that previous work has nothing to do with them but PN are owned by BT. They're charging the customer to pay themselves. The next engineer 3 weeks later said that I must have fitted that wire as their engineers don't do that. I didn't ask for it and didn't fit it. I just wish I'd videoed the first idiot when he fitted it. In any case the wire wasn't the problem. The phone problem was at the exchange according to the first engineer. the phone line worked fine when we tested it WITH the original socket and cabling as it was when he arrived. The broadband problem was caused by the first engineer. The second phone problem was caused by the second engineer. The system was working fine before the new wall socket was fitted, and is now working fine afterwards. The claim of damage to the wiring is completely spurious. I've just had a response by phone from PN who stated that the fault was external to the property (not what the engineer's report says). & that the engineer fixed this damage. Well, the cabling and entry point to the property are at the side of the house behind a locked gate. I offered to open this in case he needed to access it, but he declined. So he didn't go anywhere near where the fault is *supposed* to have been. They won't admit to having accepted a falsified report (or created it) in order to scam a customer, but they did offer to refund any charge made.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @trillos,

Sorry for any confusion! The previously arranged solution you discussed with Sammy over the phone is still in place, due to the circumstances surrounding the engineer visit. I hope this clears everything up, but if you've got any further queries or issues, please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team