Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing tp mew router problems

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Changing tp mew router problems

I 've changed from the TG582N to a TP-Link WD8960N and am having problems with setting up my connections.. My system comprises
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit connected by Ethernet to the router; Humax Foxsat+ IPlayer connected by Home Plugs, and wirelessly an internet radio and IPod.
The TP-Link has it own default Wireless Network SSID, Key, and something called a Device PIN. To get the above operational do I need to set up a Home group? Should it be using TP or PN and which set up details do I use ? I know that last bit looks silly, but whatever details I have chosen to set up a group have come back with  a security code mismatch.
What the Device PIN is for, I am struggling through TP's manual without much success.
So! Help Please!!!
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES 8
Twills
Grafter

Re: Changing tp mew router problems

Hi Lucerne, on most versions of O/S since vista there should be a link where it asks for a pin that says "click to enter the passphrase instead" something along them lines. Then it will give you another box to enter the wireless password / key. You don't need a home group but if everything is on the same home group it does make some sharing services a lot easier to manage. Of course the home plug and ethernet connected devices wont need the wireless key that should all be auto.
The 3rd party device will not be aware of your broadband connection username and password. so that will need to be setup manually. If you are a plusnet customer the username will be <yourusername>@plusdsl.net without the < > and your account password.
Hope that helps
Twills.
Luzern
Hero

Unable to find that! Managed to get radio set up, but am finding IPod much more a problem. It seems I need to find/input DHCP, IP and boot  IP manually.
At least that appears on screen. What do i enter? Anyone know,please?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I've had that model of router since last September, ready for my upgrade to ADSL2+ ....and until now,didn't know it had a PIN!!! Since I have about a dozen varied devices set up to use the TP-Link wirelessly,as well as one via ethernet it obviously isn't necessary!!
To set it up for P/Net  I enabled wireless, changed the default SSID to something obvious,making sure that it wasn't hidden, let the router generate a wireless key for WPA2-AES. I then entered my PN usernane and password in the Quick set up -WAN configurations page,ensuring that it was set for  PPoA ..and hey presto!  All I do now, is issue the wireless key to visitors and they connect. The only problem I've had was at Xmas when a visitor tried to connect his internet radio via wireless using WPS....and managed to reset the router back to factory defaults whilst messing around!!
Luzern
Hero

So, having created a default SSID in the router, say "XXXX", I then am stuck how to let the computer generate the wireless key.
Also how do I use that PIN that TPLink gives? Please!
Twills
Grafter

Not the computer, the router will generate the key, either that or it will just be a text box for you to type what you want
Twills
Luzern
Hero

Thanks for all the advice, but the frustrations from the TPLink have go to me, and I have put back the 582N.
.The TPlink is going back to Amazon.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Can only repeat what I said above -I've NEVER used the PIN!! Only found it on the bottom of the router after you had posted. Apparently (according to info on TP-Link site) PIN is used if you connect devices to the router using WPS, some sort of automated way of establishing secure wireless connections by automatically generating a key; I've got  WPS disabled since there was a hoo haaa some time ago about hackers using WPS to crack networks.
As to generating a new WPA2 key -I think it does that when you set up again after a factory reset -can't test that as it would mean entering new passkeys on all our assorted phones and tablets!!
Shame you couldn't get on with the TP-Link - very good price (think I paid about £25 ex Amazon)I've been pleased with it so far -holds ADSL2+ synch @ ~ 3dB SNRM downstream which the previous old Buffalo wouldn't do.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I found the easy way is to create a key in a text editor, connect to the router (or modem-router) to set the SSID, turn off WPS (the PIN is an extra security to allow you to use WPS to connect the computer, similar to a card PIN that allows use of the Bank ATM), select WPA2 and copy/paste the key in the box. The text can be saved (temporarily) to a file and this used via a USB stick to set up other computers. The only devices "needing" WPS I have are mobile phones as the "keyboard" isn't effective with a long(ish) key of mixed case/numbers etc., but I turn WPS off after using.
If you wish to change the key at a later date, repeat .....  Wink
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.