cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing router during 10 Day stability test

paulrwselby
Dabbler

Changing router during 10 Day stability test

I currently have a 2800VG router on a new Plusnet Max ADSL line that is connecting now at 6.5Mb with no re-synchs or dropouts. It is on its 3rd day of the 10-14 day testing period.
I have ordered a new Draytek 2820Vn router which will arrive Monday. Clearly I would love to replace my Draytek 2800VG with it ASAP, but wonder if this may have an adverse effect on my final speed profile.
Any thoughts advise or comments would be more than welcome.. Thanks!
Paul.
5 REPLIES 5
dbames
Dabbler

Re: Changing router during 10 Day stability test

I can't see that it would cause any problem whatsoever in swapping them out.  iirc, it used to be recommended to reboot the router once a day during the training period - not sure if this is still the case or not - but if it was, a swap-out would be the equivalent of a reboot.
paulrwselby
Dabbler

Thanks for the speedy reply.  My concern was that if it was not as fast or dropped synch more often than the one it replaced it may reduce my profile somewhat...all new routers can be a bit temperamental .
dbames
Dabbler

It's true that different routers can be more/less sensitive on the same line.
I currently run with an old Thomson Speedtouch 510v4 and that holds a steady sync of 8000Kbit/sec.  I was recently testing a newer Belkin N1 thing (can't recall the exact model) for a friend, and found that it managed a sync rate of 8128 (I think), even at the end of some internal extension cable.  I've a 2800vg on order at the moment (couldn't quite justify the newer 2820!)
paulrwselby
Dabbler

Good luck with the 2800G, I have been well pleased with mine. Before i moved I was on the end of a long line and I had a lot of trouble with resyncs.  Part of this was a problem with internal extension cables for the phones.  I replaced the NTE5 master with a central filtered one and that improved everything no end...increased my SNR margin by 6db, that plus the Draytek F/W upgrades almost doubled my speed and I rarely got dropouts.
I am hoping for similar performance with the 2820Vn with the ability to load balance and use a 3G connection.
dbames
Dabbler

I've got a couple of Cisco 1801s that I've been trying to use for load balancing over two ADSL lines in our office - not had much success there unfortunately.  Hope you have better luck with the Draytek Smiley